Himachal’s Keylong sees season’s heaviest snowMarch 5th, 2012 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 5 (IANS) The remote Keylong town in Himachal Pradesh Monday experienced the season’s heaviest snowfall, a weatherman here said.
The headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti district, Keylong experienced 43 cm of snow during the past 24 hours, an official of the meteorological office here told IANS. He said this was the season’s heaviest snowfall in the town in a day.
The entire higher reaches in Kinnaur, Chamba, Lahaul and Spiti and Kullu districts have been witnessing moderate snowfall during the past 24 hours, said the official.
The higher reaches were freezing, with Keylong being the coldest at a minimum temperature of minus 2.9 degrees Celsius.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district saw a low of minus 1.6 degrees and received 35.1 mm rainfall.
Manali received 69.2 mm of rain and recorded a temperature of 3 degrees Celsius, Shimla recorded 1.9 mm rainfall and 9 degrees Celsius temperature, while Dharamsala recorded 4.5 degrees Celsius and received 32.6 mm of rain.
Officials of the Met office said the entire mountain range in the interiors of Lahaul and Spiti district will experience snow till May and the climatic conditions there were as harsh as in a cold desert.
The western disturbance would remain active in the state till March 6, with chances of heavy rain and snow at some places, added the weather office.
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
- Himachal braces for rain, snow - Jan 02, 2012
- Rain but no snow in Himachal on New Year's Day - Jan 01, 2012
- Sunny, but nippy day in Himachal - Feb 15, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Fresh snow in Himachal - Apr 11, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, rain disrupts flights - Feb 15, 2011
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Cold wave continues to grip Himachal - Feb 05, 2012
- Snowfall continues in Himachal hills - Jun 02, 2011
- Himachal braces for more snow, rain - Feb 16, 2012
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012