Himachal wants to host national film fest at Gaiety TheatreFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 2 (IANS) As the restoration of the historical Gaiety Theatre here is nearing completion, Himachal Pradesh has approached the central government for holding the National Film Festival at the theatre, officials said Monday.”The restoration of the Gaiety Theatre would be completed by March-end. So we have decided to send a proposal to the ministry of information and broadcasting to hold the next Indian panorama of National Film Festival here to revive past glory of the building,” Language, Art and Culture Department director Prem Sharma told IANS.
He said all facilities for organising cultural activities would be created within the premises for the convenience of art lovers and the more than 120-year-old theatre would again become the venue for national and international events.
The Gaiety Theatre is a historic building from the British era.
The state government has formulated a Rs.120 million plan to undertake its restoration work after carrying out study and research to ascertain that the restoration is done as per its original architecture and style.
The Gaiety Theatre had been the centre of cultural activities in Shimla right from the day it was constructed in 1887.
Prominent artistes like Prithvi Raj Kapoor, K.L. Sehgal, and Balraj Sahni had performed here.
- Shimla to host film fest - May 24, 2010
- With 400 scripts, Shimla's Gaiety Theatre recreates the past (With Image) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shimla's historic Gaiety Theatre set for comeback (With Image) - Jun 24, 2009
- Anupam plans theatre fest in Shimla, says it is payback time - Aug 06, 2012
- Tourists, step into history at Shimla's Gaiety Theatre (With Image) - Apr 19, 2010
- Shimla to host film fest from March 18 - Mar 12, 2011
- Stage set again for Shimla's Gaiety Theatre (With Image) - Feb 05, 2009
- Heritage sites in 'Queen of Hills' set for facelift (Letter from Shimla) - Jun 19, 2012
- 'Brothers in Political Theatre' revisits India's Socialist stage, culture - Apr 13, 2012
- Century-old heritage theatre at Shimla a major tourist draw - May 18, 2010
- Shimla's Ridge caves in again - Aug 27, 2012
- A tribute to Balraj Sahni in Himachal hills - May 09, 2012
- IPTA to pay tribute to A.K.Hangal - Aug 26, 2012
- Dhumal opens heritage museum in Shimla - Aug 06, 2011
- Zohra Sehgal still child like: Amitabh - Apr 26, 2012