Himachal to have 12 more silk producing unitsMay 10th, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 10 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh will soon have 12 more silk thread producing units in private sector to boost sericulture, an official said here Thursday.
Of these 12 units, six will be set up in Bilaspur district - the hub of cocoon cultivation - four in Kangra and one each in Hamirpur and Mandi district, J.S. Rana, director Industries, told IANS.
He said that in the last fiscal, the industries department and the Central Silk Board had provided assistance for opening up seven silk thread producing units in the state.
During 2011-12, mulberry plantation was done on 170 hectares private land under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme.
Rana said the schemes worth Rs.7.28 crore were sanctioned for various silk clusters by the Central Silk Board under the Silk Development Programme.
More than 9,000 farmers are directly involved in cocoon cultivation in the state, mainly in lower hills of Bilaspur, Mandi, Kangra, Una, Hamirpur and Sirmaur districts.
The silk farmers in the state are distressed for want of suitable price for their produce, said Congress legislator Rajesh Dharmani, who belongs to Ghumarwin assembly constituency in Bilaspur district.
- Low import duty hits Himachal silk growers (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Low import duty hits Himachal silk growers - Dec 20, 2011
- Himachal to get sericulture training centre - Jun 23, 2010
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Himachal seeks to rein in monkeys - Sep 21, 2011
- Silk and jobs: Kashmir eyes two birds with one stone - Oct 16, 2011
- Himachal's aloe vera crop: In comes money, out goes monkey - Jan 20, 2011
- To catch monkeys, Himachal dangles Rs.500 bait - Nov 03, 2011
- Rains bring down temperatures in Himachal - Jul 05, 2012
- Emu farming spreads wings in Himachal - Aug 06, 2012
- Special package for sericulture farmers being worked out - Mar 27, 2012
- Himachal launches drive against female foeticide - Feb 06, 2011
- Mulberry acreage to be expanded for boosting silk output - Jul 03, 2010
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: central silk board, clusters, cocoon, congress, constituency, crore, farmers, guarantee scheme, hamirpur, hub, kangra, legislator, mahatma gandhi, mandi district, mulberry plantation, private land, private sector, rajesh, rana, silk thread