Himachal shivers, Shimla has season’s coldest nightJanuary 6th, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 6 (IANS) Intense cold conditions saw most parts of Himachal Pradesh shivering Friday, a day after rains and snowfall across the state.
Shimla, which saw 4.4 cm of snow Thursday, experienced its coldest night of the season. The city recorded a minimum of 1.1 degrees Celsius Friday.
The picturesque tourist resort of Manali, which saw 2.4 cm of snow, recorded a sub-zero low of 0.2 degree Celsius below the freezing point.
Vehicular traffic was disrupted for several hours in upper Shimla after the snowfall.
Popular tourist spots near Shimla like Kufri and Narkanda also saw good spells of snow over the past two days. However, Kasauli tourist resort in Solan district was still bereft of snow cover.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district, which saw 3.9 cm of snow, recorded a night temperature of minus 5.2 degrees Celsius.
Rohtang Pass at 13,050 feet and Baralacha Pass at 16,020 ft - on the Manali-Leh highway - experienced heavy snowfall.
Met officials said the entire tribal belt of Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Chamba districts witnessed heavy snowfall till Friday.
- Himachal shivers, Shimla sees coldest night of season - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Heavy snow in Himachal, tourists stuck (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Manali freezes at minus 7 degrees - Jan 10, 2012
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal in line for more snow (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Snow to add to Himachal's New Year's Eve festivities - Dec 26, 2010
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Shimla wrapped up in white blanket again - Feb 24, 2011
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: chamba, cold conditions, degree celsius, heavy snowfall, himachal, kalpa, kufri, kullu, manali, narkanda, night temperature, saw 2, saw 4, shimla, snow cover, spiti, tourist resort, tourist spots, tribal belt, vehicular traffic