Himachal pulled up for inaction against corrupt officialsAugust 19th, 2011 - 1:28 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 18 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh High Court Thursday again pulled up the state government for its tardiness in granting sanction to prosecute corrupt officials.
A division bench of Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice Rajiv Sharma directed Chief Secretary Rajwant Sandhu to depute an officer, not below the rank of under secretary, to take a call regarding sanction for prosecution of tainted officials.
The bench adopted tough a stand after the central government informed the court that the delay in sanction was not on its part, but on that of the state government.
It also observed that the state took inordinate time twice to give clarification sought by the central government in this regard.
The court directed the chief secretary June 17 to forward within a week the comments required by the union personnel ministry in a case pending for prosecution sanction from the ministry for over 14 months.
The high court order comes on the plea of Sher Singh, a former drug controller who was arrested by the state vigilance bureau in an alleged bribery case and was placed under suspension. A trial court convicted him in June this year.
When he filed the petition questioning a departmental inquiry against him, the high court asked for details of the officers arrested in similar cases and reinstated later.
At least 23 senior government officials, including Indian Administrative Service officer Sanjay Gupta, two Himachal Administrative Services officers, additional superintendent of police-rank Himachal officer Mohinder Singh and Sher Singh have been named in the list of tainted officers which the chief secretary supplied to the high court earlier in the case.
- Himachal court concerned over tardy graft cases probe - Jun 17, 2011
- Himachal official convicted in graft case - Jun 28, 2011
- Himachal tightens laws against corruption - Sep 02, 2011
- Court comes down hard on Himachal government - Aug 15, 2011
- Provide list of corrupt officials: Himachal court - Sep 14, 2012
- Court raps CBI on rural health scheme probe - Aug 30, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Court questions Himachal on calamity handling readiness - Jul 27, 2011
- NRHM scam: Court raps Uttar Pradesh for delay in prosecution (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Himachal not in favour of pay commission - Mar 25, 2012
- Virbhadra CD case: Witness moves court against prosecution - Apr 04, 2011
- Virbhadra graft case: Court reserves order - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal asked to give details on its tainted officials - Sep 04, 2010
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Court notice on JNNURM-funded Shimla tunnel - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: administrative service officer, administrative services, bribery case, central government, chief secretary, corrupt officials, division bench, himachal pradesh, inaction, indian administrative service, inordinate time, kurian, police rank, rajiv, sanction, sandhu, sanjay gupta, sher singh, tardiness, vigilance