Himachal Pradesh power plant resumes production after nine daysJune 20th, 2008 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 19 (IANS) The 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri project in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh Thursday evening resumed power generation after the level of silt suddenly came down in the Sutlej river. The plant was closed for nine days, causing power shortage in north India including Punjab, Haryana and Delhi.
The silt content in the river had crossed 9,500 ppm (parts per million), whereas the permissible limit is 4,000 ppm, forcing authorities to suspend power generation in all six units of 250 MW each.
“As the silt level came down in the evening, authorities decided to resume power generation in four units. Now we are producing 1,000 MW electricity,” Vijay Verma, deputy general manager of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam, told IANS.
The project has been generating about 38 million units every day. Punjab gets 114 MW power daily from the project, Haryana 64 MW, Chandigarh 8 MW, Himachal Pradesh 547 MW, Delhi 142 MW, Jammu and Kashmir 105 MW, Rajasthan 112 MW, Uttar Pradesh 225 MW and Uttrakhand 38 MW.
He said the remaining two units would be operational in a day or two.
The closure of power generation had caused a loss of Rs.810 million, authorities said.
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Power crisis in north as Himachal hydropower project shuts - Jun 24, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plant remains shut for fifth day - Aug 09, 2010
- SJVNL resumes power generation - Aug 18, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- Himachal hydropower project shut down - Jul 19, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jun 25, 2010
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
- Himachal's power project remains shut for fourth day - Jul 29, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jul 20, 2010
- Himachal power plant resumes generation - Aug 03, 2010