Himachal Pradesh bans teachers’ smoking in schoolsJune 23rd, 2008 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 23 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government has asked teachers to stop smoking in schools, expressing concerned that the habit would corrupt the young minds and pose teachers as wrong role models. “The teachers are most responsible for encouraging the little minds for smoking. The government has banned smoking or consuming intoxicants on the school premises,” state Education Minister I.D. Dhiman told IANS Monday.
He said a circular in this regard has been issued to all primary schools by the directorate of elementary education.
Dhiman said the government has also prohibited the teachers from holding farewell parties for retiring colleagues.
“These steps, among others, have been taken to imbibe moral values among the students,” he said.
In order to tackle natural calamities, the principals have been instructed to carry out mock drills on disaster management in the schools.
The government has also warned against making students sit on ground during cultural programmes in the school.
There are 1,0741 primary schools in the state and the condition of most of the schools is quite deplorable.
The staff shortage is affecting the working of the schools, especially in the remote areas.
- Schoolchildren's death: Himachal to conduct surveys - Feb 08, 2011
- Private tuitions by government teachers an offence: Tripura government - Jan 03, 2012
- Bengal to bar students, teachers from political rallies - Sep 15, 2011
- Tripura bars government teachers from taking tuitions - Apr 16, 2011
- China promotes calligraphy as hand-writing gets sloppy - Aug 28, 2011
- Amartya Sen lauds Bihar's progress in elementary education - Jul 05, 2011
- Nukkad nataks, songs to help Delhi schools tackle sniffing intoxicants - May 19, 2011
- Orissa has dress code for school teachers too - Aug 19, 2010
- A key Bihar lesson - don't forget the private tuition! - Jan 22, 2012
- Bihar launches education quality campaign - Sep 05, 2011
- Himachal students to get uniform - Jan 01, 2012
- Delhi schools join battle against tobacco - May 27, 2011
- Drill to check Delhi's earthquake preparedness - Feb 14, 2012
- Orissa plans colour code for schools - Sep 28, 2010
- Apex court clears decks for Assam teachers' recruitment (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012