Himachal official convicted in graft caseJune 28th, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 28 (IANS) A Himachal Pradesh official who was arrested by the Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau in 2008 was convicted by a court Tuesday for bribery, a police officer said here.
Solan Special Judge K.S. Chandel convicted drug controller Sher Singh Thakur under the Prevention of Corruption Act and sentenced him to three years rigorous imprisonment, Inspector General of Police Anurag Garg told IANS.
Thakur, then in the state drug licensing authority, was caught red-handed Feb 22, 2008 while he was collecting money from pharmaceutical companies in the Baddi-Nalagarh industrial area in Solan district.
An amount of Rs.472,500 was recovered from his possession.
Garg said the police recovered cash worth Rs.1470,000 and valuable articles and goods during the search of his house.
The state government subsequently placed Thakur under suspension. But later he was reinstated.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court June 17 took a serious view of tardy pace of corruption cases involving top government officials.
At least 23 senior government officials, including Indian Administrative Service officer Sanjay Gupta, two Himachal Administrative Services officers, additional superintendent of police-rank Himachal officer Mohinder Singh and Sher Singh Thakur have been named in the list of tainted officers which Chief Secretary Rajwant Sandhu supplied to the high court earlier in the case.
- Himachal pulled up for inaction against corrupt officials - Aug 19, 2011
- Himachal court concerned over tardy graft cases probe - Jun 17, 2011
- Provide list of corrupt officials: Himachal court - Sep 14, 2012
- Himachal tightens laws against corruption - Sep 02, 2011
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Himachal asked to give details on its tainted officials - Sep 04, 2010
- 194 nonagenarians to cast vote in Himachal bypolls - Nov 28, 2011
- Two Jharkhand cops suspended for misusing position - Sep 20, 2011
- CBI to adopt Bihar law to seize homes of corrupt - Jan 28, 2012
- Himachal BJP rebels seek probe against minister - Mar 02, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Court seeks police report on complaint against Dikshit - Jun 08, 2012
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- From Chinese agent to innocent monk - flipflops on Karmapa - Apr 25, 2012
- No inventory of Roerich's paintings, says trust member - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: administrative service officer, administrative services, anurag garg, baddi, bribery, chief secretary, corruption bureau, corruption cases, graft case, indian administrative service, licensing authority, pharmaceutical companies, police rank, prevention of corruption act, rigorous imprisonment, sanjay gupta, sher singh, special judge, thakur, worth rs