Himachal man held for smuggling pashminaSeptember 8th, 2011 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 7 (IANS) A Himachal Pradesh resident was arrested Wednesday for smuggling prized pashmina wool from across the China border, police said.
Two trucks laden with over 9,000 kg of pashmina wool were seized from a village in Kinnaur district Monday. A small quality of banned shahtoosh wool was also found in the consignment.
Superintendent of Police Ashok Kumar told IANS that Kamal Nand, a resident of Nako village in Kinnaur, was arrested in the case.
“The samples of shahtoosh were sent to the Wildlife Institute of India in Dehradun for analysis,” he added.
Shahtoosh is the most expensive wool in the world and is used for making shawls and scarves. The wool comes from the Tibetan antelope’s down hair.
The accused has been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and Wildlife Protection Act.
“Since pashmina wool is not available in the region, it was smuggled from across the border,” Kumar added.
Himachal Pradesh shares a porous border with China and police say smuggling of rare species of fauna and Chinese goods like blankets and thermos flasks across the border is quite frequent.
- Smuggled pashmina wool seized in Himachal - Sep 06, 2011
- Red sanders en route to China seized in Himachal - Dec 09, 2011
- Dhumal seeks special funds to develop border areas - Sep 10, 2011
- Shahtoosh: Can the prized industry be revived again? - Apr 09, 2012
- Himachal steps up vigil along China border - Jan 11, 2011
- International racket behind rare wood smuggled to China: Police (Lead) - Aug 28, 2010
- Seized red sanders wood was en route to China - Aug 27, 2010
- Himachal police zero in on rare wood smuggler - Sep 10, 2010
- Handicrafts from border areas a hit at exhibition - Nov 27, 2011
- Police seize bribe money in rare wood smuggling case - Sep 22, 2010
- Hope for Chiru, as Pashmina shawls make comeback - Dec 26, 2008
- Chinese arrested after 17 years for murder - Dec 27, 2011
- Himachal to develop eco-tourism in Sangla Valley - Dec 27, 2011
- Landslides close Himachal national highway - Sep 06, 2011
- Banned wood found at former legislator's house - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,