Himachal government begins probe into temple stampedeAugust 5th, 2008 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Naina Devi (Himachal Pradesh), Aug 5 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government Tuesday began a probe into the stampede at the hilltop shrine of Naina Devi that killed at least 145 people, a senior official said. Divisional commissioner Ashwani Kapoor, who is conducting the magisterial inquiry, told IANS that he would invite all eyewitnesses to depose before the one-man commission.
Government officials and employees, including police personnel, who were on duty on Sunday when the accident took place, would be grilled.
“The erring employees will not be spared,” he said.
Meanwhile, official sources said that the tragedy could have been averted.
According to the sources, there was complete lack of coordination between the agencies that had been assigned various duties like regulation of traffic on the roads leading to the shrine, managing the crowds at various places along the one-km walking stretch from the main bus stand to the shrine, and provision of emergency facilities.
They said the police had divided the path leading to the shrine into 10 pockets to manage the crowd.
The stampede took place between pockets 4 and 5 where less than 10 security personnel had been deployed although the sanctioned strength was 60 personnel, comprising police and volunteers.
The district administration had decided ahead of the annual Shravan Navratra fair that each pocket should hold at least 200 devotees who would be allowed to move up only after getting clearance from the above pocket.
But at the time of the tragedy, more than 1,500 devotees were standing in pockets 4 and 5.
Moreover, no meeting was held between police officials of Punjab and Himachal Pradesh before the beginning of the fair to manage the traffic on the 30-km stretch from Anandpur Sahib town in Punjab to the shrine.
Most of the devotees visiting the shrine are from Punjab.
- Devotees throng Himachal temples with onset of Shravan - Jul 20, 2012
- 'Speed up ropeway construction between shrines' - May 01, 2010
- Thousands of devotees throng Himachal temples - Sep 28, 2011
- Stampede deaths fail to dampen spirit of devotees (Lead) - Aug 04, 2008
- Hindu and Sikh shrines on Punjab-HP border to be linked - Jul 18, 2012
- Bodies of temple stampede victims identified - Aug 05, 2008
- Ropeway to link Sikh, Hindu temple towns in Punjab, Himachal - Jun 28, 2012
- Himachal's Naina Devi shrine sees record offerings - Jan 07, 2011
- Stampedes at religious places in over a decade - Nov 08, 2011
- How to stop stampedes: Lessons for India - Nov 23, 2011
- Perform virtual prayers at Himachal's Naina Devi temple - Mar 13, 2011
- Log on, perform prayers online! - Mar 18, 2012
- Himachal to develop religious tourism - Jul 05, 2011
- Himachal temples to melt holy gold - Apr 12, 2011
- Karauli Mela, Braj region's very own Kumbh - Mar 21, 2012