Himachal gets first legal mediation centreOctober 18th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 18 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh’s first mediation centre meant to prevent unnecessary litigation was inaugurated at the high court complex here Saturday by Supreme Court judge S.B. Sinha.”Mediation can prevent unnecessary litigation and there is a need for creating awareness in this regard to avoid unnecessary delay in getting justice,” Sinha said.
“In several litigations, even the parties are not in a position to understand the importance of mediation. So, there is a need for creating awareness on alternative disputes resolution (ADR)”.
The initiative to set up the mediation centre was taken by Himachal Pradesh Chief Justice Jagdish Bhalla.
Bhalla said: “ADR is by far the most tried and tested alternate method to ensure speedy and economical justice. Of course, the mediation centre will lessen the burden of the courts.”
As of now, the 10 high court judges in the state are working overtime to settle the backlog of cases, the number of which increased after the Himachal Pradesh Administrative Tribunal was abolished.
“The pendency crossed the 50,000 mark with the transfer of 24,000 pending cases from the administrative tribunal to the high court,” a court official said.
- Himachal high court to set up mediation centre - Oct 16, 2008
- FICCI ties up with Delhi agency to promote mediation - Feb 19, 2011
- Government seeks details on pending cases in high courts - Sep 13, 2010
- Law Minister Moily says trivial matters should not be brought before Administrative Tribunals - Dec 11, 2010
- Himachal high court gets 'green bench' - Feb 20, 2010
- Indiana professor to spearhead major study on Indian judiciary - Aug 22, 2010
- Government committed to judicial reforms, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Panta new Himachal Lokayukta - Aug 24, 2011
- Shortage of judges a hinderance in justice delivery system: CJI - Aug 16, 2009
- Court questions Himachal on calamity handling readiness - Jul 27, 2011
- Himachal plans litigation free village in each district - Aug 11, 2010
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
- 30 percent of pending cases are government's: Moily - Jul 25, 2010
- New Himachal chief justice to be sworn-in Feb 8 - Feb 03, 2010
- Delhi Lok Adalat disposes 7,900 pending cases - Mar 12, 2011