Himachal Congress gives ‘charge sheet’ against BJP regimeAugust 23rd, 2012 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh Congress Wednesday gave a corruption “charge sheet” to President Pranab Mukherjee against the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in the hill state and demanded an inquiry against it.
The “charge sheet” was given to the president by Congress leaders, including state Congress chief Kaul Singh, leader of legislature party Vidya Stokes and party general secretary incharge of Himachal Pradesh Birender Singh.
Former chief minister Virbhadra Singh and union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma were not present.
The Congress “charge sheet” has come about three months before the expected assembly polls in Himachal Pradesh.
Congress secretary Asha Kumari, who was among the delegation that met the president, said the party had prepared an 80-page “charge sheet” against the Prem Kumar Dhumal government.
“There have been massive land scams and favouritism. We requested the president to order an impartial inquiry by independent authority into the corruption of the BJP government in Himachal,” Asha Kumari told IANS.
Birender Singh played down absence of Virbhadra Singh from the delegation. “Members of ‘charge sheet’ committee were present,” he said.
In the “charge sheet”, the Congress accused Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal of extending favours to his son Anurag Thakur, a BJP MP, and the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) which is controlled by him.
It alleged that the government has provided several pieces of land to the HPCA in various parts of the state.
The Congress alleged that the government has extended favours to infrastructure group Jaiprakash Associates Ltd. in setting up hydropower and cement projects.
It also questioned the government permission granted to two private builders to develop housing projects in Shimla and in Kasauli.
- 'Himachal on Sale' say BJP, Congress (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 14, 2012
- Himachal monsoon session set to be stormy - Aug 26, 2012
- Congress walkout from Himachal assembly over graft - Aug 27, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- Himachal Congress legislators knock on Sonia's door (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2012
- Anxiety in BJP over move to make Virbhadra Himachal Congress chief (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012
- Nothing to do with Virbhadra episode, says BJP - Jun 26, 2012
- BJP united, Congress divided ahead of polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh meets Sonia, supporters - Aug 22, 2012
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- Himachal government in league with land mafia: Congress - Apr 17, 2012
- Opposition Congress at receiving end (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 18, 2012
- Tainted Virbhadra Singh goes, vows to fight on (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, congress chief, congress leaders, congress secretary, cricket association, delegation members, government permission, himachal pradesh, hpca, impartial inquiry, independent authority, infrastructure group, land scams, massive land, pranab mukherjee, prem kumar, private builders, state congress