Himachal chief minister rules out tax cuts on fuelsJuly 2nd, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 2 (IANS) Unfazed by the truckers’ nationwide stir, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Wednesday ruled out any reduction in sales tax or value-added tax (VAT) on petrol and diesel in the state. “The central government is responsible for the frequent rise in fuel prices,” he told reporters here.
He said 16 percent tax levied on diesel by the state government is lower than a majority of the states in the country.
But the petrol pump owners in the state are up in arms against the government for higher sales tax compared to neighbouring Haryana and Punjab.
“The business in petrol pumps located in the border areas has gone down drastically since the fuel is cheaper in Punjab and Haryana,” Himachal Pradesh Petrol Pump Association president Sukumar Singh said.
The rate of diesel in Haryana and Punjab is Rs.33.60 per litre and Rs.33.62 respectively, while in Himachal Pradesh it is Rs.35.25 per litre.
Punjab and Haryana had recently reduced sales tax on fuels to ease the burden on consumers.
- Himachal pump owners seek tax cut on diesel - Jun 08, 2008
- States can reduce petrol VAT if Congress takes initiative: Dhumal - May 26, 2012
- Petrol costlier in India than in neighbours, US - Nov 29, 2011
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.6.28 plus taxes, industry welcomes move (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Himachal reduces VAT on diesel - Jun 27, 2011
- Diesel to cost less in Delhi from July 20 - Jul 16, 2010
- Haryana waives VAT on kerosene - Jun 26, 2011
- Punjab abolishes octroi on petrol, diesel - Apr 30, 2012
- Cut tax to make diesel cheaper, say Delhi dealers - May 10, 2012
- Petrol price cut by Rs.2 a litre (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Monday blues for Delhi motorists as petrol pumps observe strike - May 24, 2010
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Goa budget proposes to reduce petrol price by Rs.11 a litre - Mar 26, 2012
- Himachal truckers increase freight charges - Sep 18, 2012