Himachal brings panchayats in Lokayukta’s ambitMarch 11th, 2011 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 11 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh state assembly Friday passed a bill that empowers the Lokayukta (ombudsman) to hear corruption complaints against top functionaries of local governance institutions.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who also holds the home portfolio, presented the Himachal Pradesh Lokayukta (Amendment) Bill, 2011, for discussion and approval after the question hour. It was brought to amend the 1983 legislation.
The bill empowers the Lokayukta, besides others, to hear corruption complaints against chairpersons or vice-chairpersons of the district councils (zila parishads) and panchayat committees.
Participating in the discussion, Congress legislator Rajesh Dharmani demanded the draft law also include the functionaries of the gram panchayats.
He said normally complaints of irregularities remained pending before the subdivisional magistrates and the block development officers against panchayat “pradhans” (chairpersons) and “up-pardhans” (vice chairpersons) and they continued to indulge in corruption.
Dhumal said the 13th Finance Commission had laid down that the state government should put in place either a system of independent ombudsmen for local government institutions or the state Lokayukta should be empowered to look into complaints of corruption in these institutions.
Later, the house passed the bill with voice vote.
–Indo-Asia News Service
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta - Apr 04, 2012
- Himachal assembly passes Lokayukta bill (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Himachal village unanimously elects all-woman panchayat - Dec 16, 2010
- She battles for women's property rights in tribal Kinnaur - Dec 22, 2010
- Goa panel submits Lokayukta bill to Kamat - Sep 19, 2011
- We will give Lokayukta more powers in Himachal: Chief Minister (Interview) - Dec 30, 2011
- Himachal Lokayukta will be strengthened, says new chief - Feb 03, 2012
- Tripura to put all ranks of officials under Lokayukta - Mar 02, 2012
- Without legal reforms Lokpal will fail: Study - Dec 27, 2011
- Tough road ahead for Dhumal in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Feb 25, 2012
- 24 people hit by food poisoning in Himachal - Apr 06, 2011
- AIADMK opposes inclusion of PM in Lokpal's ambit - Dec 27, 2011
- Congress core committee meets on Lokpal bill - Dec 27, 2011
- States act on graft, governance - prodded by people's power - Sep 11, 2011