Himachal braves cold, marks Republic DayJanuary 26th, 2012 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 26 (IANS) Braving bone-biting cold, people Thursday celebrated Republic Day across Himachal Pradesh, where temperatures dipped to minus in many places.
Governor Urmila Singh unfurled the national flag at the main function at the historic Ridge here.
Shimla recorded 2 degrees Celsius. Other places were less unfortunate. It was minus 11.7 degrees in Keylong, minus 4.1 in Kalpa and minus 1.8 in the tourist resort Manali.
In snow-marooned Keylong, headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, Deputy Commissioner Rajiv Shankar presided over the official function. People at the venue came wrapped in layers and layers of woollens.
Despite the chill, people took part in flag hoisting ceremonies and witnessed march past by security personnel and cultural programmes staged by children at all 12 district towns.
The governor took salute at an impressive parade by contingents of police, Indo-Tibetan Border Police, Home Guards, army, NCC and ex-servicemen.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, his cabinet colleagues, legislators and government officials were present at the function here.
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- More snow in store for Shimla, Manali - Feb 11, 2012
- More snow in Manali, Kalpa and higher reaches of Himachal - Jan 26, 2012
- Himachal braces for rain, snow - Jan 02, 2012
- Shimla slightly warm but cold persists in Himachal - Dec 28, 2011
- Himachal shivers, but Shimla slightly warmer - Dec 16, 2011
- Himachal's Keylong in deep freeze at minus 6.1 degrees - Dec 24, 2011
- Snowfall likely in Himachal on New Year's Day - Dec 30, 2011
- Himachal hill towns get set for more snow (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Mercury plummets across Himachal Pradesh - Jan 21, 2012
- Sunny but chilly in Himachal - Jan 23, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Cold wave grip continues on Himachal (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: border police, cabinet colleagues, chief minister, deputy commissioner, government officials, himachal, impressive parade, kalpa, manali, national flag, ncc, rajiv, republic day, security personnel, shankar, shimla, spiti, tibetan border, tourist resort, urmila