Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day (Lead)January 26th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 26 (IANS) Braving bone-biting cold in sub-zero temperatures, people Thursday celebrated Republic Day across Himachal Pradesh though mercury dipped in many places.
Governor Urmila Singh unfurled the national flag at the main function at the historic Ridge here.
Shimla recorded 2 degrees Celsius, while it was minus 11.7 degrees Celsius in Keylong, minus 4.1 in Kalpa and minus 1.8 in Manali.
In snow-bound Keylong, headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, Deputy Commissioner Rajiv Shankar presided over the official function.
Likewise, Kinnaur Deputy Commissioner Sunil Chaudhary headed the district-level function at Rekong Peo.
In both remote Keylong and Rekong Peo towns, the legislators designated to preside over the functions had to cancel their visits as the recent snowfalls forced the closure of roads.
Despite the chill, people took part in flag hoisting ceremonies and witnessed march past by security personnel and cultural programmes staged by children.
In Shimla, the governor took salute at an impressive parade by contingents of police, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police, home guards, the army, NCC and ex-servicemen.
Major Jagmeet Singh of 2/8 Gorkha Regiment commanded the parade.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, Leader of Opposition Vidya Stokes, legislators and government officials were present at the function here.
At Dharamsala, the function was presided over by Public Works Minister Gulab Singh Thakur.
Prime Minister of the Tibetan government-in-exile Lobsang Sangay was the special guest on the occasion at Dharamsala.
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Icy winds sweep Himachal towns - Dec 26, 2011
- Temperature rises in Shimla - Dec 20, 2010
- Keylong freezes at minus 12.9 degrees - Jan 02, 2011
- Himachal has break in snowfall, but more in store (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Snowfall likely in Himachal on New Year's Day - Dec 30, 2011
- Shimla slightly warm but cold persists in Himachal - Dec 28, 2011
- Temperature rises in Himachal Pradesh - Jan 21, 2011
- Himachal's high hills record sub-zero temperatures - Jan 03, 2012
- Himachal braces for rain, snow - Jan 02, 2012
- Snowless but bone-chilling Christmas in north India (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- More snow in store for Shimla, Manali - Feb 11, 2012
- Head to Himachal hills for a white V-Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Icy winds sweep Himachal - Dec 13, 2010
- Temperature rises marginally in Shimla - Jan 11, 2010
Tags: border police, chief minister, deputy commissioner, gulab, himachal, impressive parade, kalpa, leader of opposition, manali, national flag, peo, rajiv, republic day, snowfalls, spiti, thakur, tibetan border, tibetan government in exile, urmila, zero temperatures