Himachal aims for 7.41 lakh tonne foodgrainsJanuary 11th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 11 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh has fixed a target of producing 7.41 lakh tonnes of foodgrains during the current rabi (winter harvest) season, an official statement said here Wednesday.
Besides foodgrains, the state agriculture department has estimated to produce 3.36 thousand tonnes of oil seeds, 27,000 tonnes of potatoes and 5.20 lakh tonnes of vegetables.
The agriculture insurance scheme would continue during the current rabi season for wheat and barley crops and tomato in Solan district. Potato crop in Una and Kangra districts have also been included in the weather-based crop insurance scheme on an experimental basis, it said.
Agriculture is the main occupation of the people in the state, providing direct employment to 69 percent of its workforce.
The state has 25,000 farmers who are engaged in organic farming.
More than 80 percent horticulture and agricultural activities here are rain-fed.
- Himachal to produce 7.2 lakh tonnes of foodgrains - Nov 30, 2009
- Himachal now insures wheat, barley crops - Nov 14, 2010
- Himachal launches crop insurance scheme - Jul 13, 2011
- Himachal gets 46 percent less rainfall - Jul 17, 2012
- Himachal invites food processing firms - Apr 07, 2011
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
- Himachal starts crop insurance scheme - May 16, 2010
- Tomato prices to shoot up as rains hit yield in Himachal - Sep 26, 2010
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Bumper potato crop nightmare for Agra farmers - Dec 11, 2011
- Trials on Himachal crops successful, says institute - Jan 29, 2012
- Food production may surpass target: Pawar - Sep 14, 2011
- Himachal gets 34 percent more rain in June - Jul 01, 2010
- Haryana looks at newer pastures for farming - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: agricultural activities, agriculture department, barley crops, crop insurance scheme, experimental basis, foodgrains, harvest season, horticulture, kangra, oil seeds, organic farming, potato crop, potatoes, rabi season, state agriculture, target, tonnes, wheat, winter harvest, workforce