Himachal activist gets Rajiv Gandhi awardNovember 14th, 2011 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 14 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh-based social activist Mallika Nadda was honoured by the central government Monday for working to uplift disabled children, an official statement said here.
Nadda, who founded the NGO Chetna, was presented the Rajiv Gandhi Manav Sewa Award 2010 by union Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath at a national-level function held in New Delhi.
She was presented a citation and Rs.100,000 cash award for her services to differently-abled children in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh, including providing them education, speech therapy and vocational training.
Her NGO started community-based rehabilitation programmes initially in 10 panchayats in Bilaspur which has now been extended to all 151 panchayats in the district, the statement added.
Special children trained by Chetna have excelled in international events.
Geeta Devi had won a gold medal in Bocce in 2003 World Summer Games in Ireland while Vikram won gold in volleyball in 2007 World Summer Games in Shanghai, China.
- Women awarded for exemplary work for marginalised kids - Aug 19, 2011
- Wasps kill Special Olympics gold winner - Oct 18, 2010
- India win 243 medals including 92 gold at Special Games in Athens - Jul 08, 2011
- Floor hockey meet for special athletes begins in Himachal - Dec 15, 2010
- Himachal's special athletes to attend Athens meet - Jun 06, 2011
- 200 arrive for Special Olympics in Himachal - Feb 15, 2011
- Special Olympics begins in Himachal Pradesh - Nov 03, 2009
- Nadda elected to Rajya Sabha from Himachal - Mar 22, 2012
- Himachal BJP recommends names for Rajya Sabha - Mar 14, 2012
- Tirath discusses issues of community-based organisations - May 08, 2012
- Free ambulance service starts in Himachal Pradesh - Dec 26, 2010
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- I have opened doors for other women wrestlers: Geeta Phogat - Aug 30, 2012
- Centre discriminates against Himachal: BJP - Mar 16, 2011
- Kalam to give lesson on fundamental duties - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: abled, bocce, central government, chetna, community based rehabilitation, disabled children, education speech, krishna, manav, minister of state, panchayats, rajiv gandhi award, sewa, shanghai china, shimla, social activist, speech therapy, union minister, vocational training, world summer games