Hills of Himachal witnessing rainfallMay 6th, 2011 - 2:27 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla/Manali, May 6 (IANS) If you are sizzling in the plains and want a cool getaway for the weekend, head to the hills of Himachal Pradesh which have been experiencing rainfall since Friday morning and are expected to see more showers in the days ahead.
The Met office has, however, advised the tourists to bring light woollens as mornings and evenings in most of the popular tourist spots would be quite chilly.
“There are even chances of snow at isolated places in higher reaches of the state in the next two days,” meteorological office director Manmohan Singh told IANS.
The most sought after destinations like Shimla, Narkanda, Sangla, Kasauli, Manali, Palampur, Dharamsala and Dalhousie have been experiencing light to moderate rain since early Friday.
Meanwhile, representatives of the hospitality industry are upbeat as the cool environs in the hills would attract more tourists, mainly from the plains of north India, during the weekend.
Mehar Chand Thakur, vice-president of the Manali Hoteliers Association, said: “We are expecting a good footfall of tourists in Manali as morning showers have brought down the temperature massively.”
The added attraction of Manali is plentiful snow on its nearby hills.
According to the Met office, the minimum temperatures of Shimla, Dharamsala and Kalpa Friday were 13.2 degrees, 18.7 degrees and 6.8 degrees Celsius.
- Good Friday weekend drives tourists to Himachal - Apr 22, 2011
- Himachal's snowy peaks pull in tourists - Dec 12, 2011
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- No white New Year's Eve for Himachal's hill stations - Dec 31, 2011
- Snowless Himachal not so inviting this New Year's eve? - Dec 30, 2011
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Rain cools hills of Himachal - May 27, 2011
- Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11 - Nov 11, 2011
- Shimla's temperature 6 degrees above average - May 29, 2012
- Himachal warms up to Christmas tourist rush - Dec 23, 2010
- Moderate rainfall in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 15, 2011
- Snow-clad mountains luring tourists to Himachal - Nov 19, 2010
- It's a dry Christmas in Himachal resorts this year - Dec 24, 2011
- Heat grips Shimla too (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: added attraction, dharamsala, footfall, himachal pradesh, hospitality industry, hoteliers association, kalpa, manali, manmohan, manmohan singh, meteorological office, minimum temperatures, moderate rain, morning showers, narkanda, nearby hills, north india, office director, plentiful snow, tourist spots