Hillary Clinton praises Ela Bhatt for empowering womenJune 22nd, 2012 - 11:13 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 22 (IANS) Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has praised Indian social activist Ela Bhatt as one of her “heroines” for her work for empowerment of women.
“I have a lot of heroes and heroines around the world,” she said speaking at the National Partnership for Women and Families here Thursday. One of them was Ela Bhatt, Clinton said, recalling her role in starting the Self-Employed Women’s Association in India.
“She was a very well-educated woman who had the options available to those in her class with her intellectual ability,” she said.
“But she chose to devote her life to organizing the poorest of the poor, women who worked in fields, who sold vegetables, who were domestics, who struggled to eke out a living for themselves and their families, women who were considered the last to eat, the least important.”
Over the years SEWA has grown to million members “and they were being looked at by those around the world who saw what they had accomplished,” Clinton said recalling her visit to a couple of housing projects in Cape Town patterned on the SEWA model.
“This didn’t happen overnight, but it could not have happened without determined, dedicated, persistent, meddling, bothersome, annoying women leaders,” she said.
“So we need to keep pushing on those closed doors, keep chiselling away at those barriers, keep working together toward a world where every little girl and boy grows up believing that there is a future for them, that if they work hard, if they do their part, they too can make a difference in their own lives and the lives of their larger communities,” Clinton said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ela Bhatt honoured with Global Fairness Initiative Award - Nov 16, 2010
- Hillary counts Ela Bhatt among her 'personal heroes' - Jul 20, 2012
- Poor Muslim women connect to global fashion with crafts (With Image) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ela Bhatt conferred Japan's Niwano Peace Prize - May 13, 2010
- Clinton to meet SEWA volunteers in Mumbai - Jul 16, 2009
- Over two lakh poor women workers to get stoves, lanterns - Nov 19, 2011
- Desmond Tutu calls on Meira Kumar - Feb 08, 2012
- Women changing India: Iconic divas on Magnum camera - Oct 25, 2010
- India's biggest women's grassroots chain connects to Africa - Jul 09, 2012
- Increasing opportunities for women-led businesses in India - Mar 11, 2012
- Women artisans greet 'impressed' Clinton with 'We shall overcome' (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2009
- Clinton condoles 26/11 victims, meets Indian business leaders (Lead) - Jul 18, 2009
- Clinton meets women artisans (Lead) - Jul 18, 2009
- Impressed with Indian women, Clinton seeks more opportunities for them - Jul 18, 2009
- Hillary meets Indian business leaders, discusses economic crisis (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,