Hillary Clinton arrives in Kolkata (Lead)May 6th, 2012 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 6 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrived here Sunday on a two-day visit during which she would hold talks with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and interact with a cross-section of people.
Clinton, 64, flew into Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport on a special flight from Dhaka at 12.55 p.m., running 15 minutes behind schedule, and was received by two bureaucrats of the state government.
She waved to the waiting camerapersons at the airport and posed for photos before boarding a limousine which headed for her hotel in South Kolkata amid tight security.
The high point of Clinton’s visit, her second to the city and first after becoming the US Secretary of state, will be her meeting with Banerjee at the state secretariat, Writers’ Building, Monday 11 a.m.
Sunday, she will attend a cultural programme at the Indian Council for Cultural Relations auditorium in central Kolkata and visit Victoria Memorial.
Monday, prior to her discussions with Banerjee, she would address intellectuals, academicians and other eminent personalities of the city.
Clinton had earlier visited the city as the US first lady to attend the funeral of Mother Teresa in September 1997.
- Hillary meets trafficking victims, visits Victorial Memorial (Roundup) - May 06, 2012
- Kolkata fortified for Hillary visit - May 06, 2012
- President Mukherjee begins four-day trip to Bengal - Sep 14, 2012
- Unprecedented security for Hillary's Kolkata visit - May 05, 2012
- Tagore's works among Mamata's gifts for Hillary - May 06, 2012
- Pranab visits Mamata's mother in hospital - Dec 03, 2011
- President Mukherjee given civic reception by Bengal government (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- 'Hillary visiting Kolkata as Mamata government US' favourite' - May 06, 2012
- Ahead of Clinton's visit, US ambassador calls on Mamata - Apr 30, 2012
- Mamata flags off Kolkata-Singapore flight - Aug 01, 2011
- President Patil to visit Visva Bharati Tuesday - Nov 28, 2011
- From Dipu Moni to Clinton, Kolkata geared up for VVIP visits - Apr 29, 2012
- Kolkata Metro station to be named after Mother Teresa - Jan 15, 2011
- Mamata has affinity to US policies: Left - Aug 30, 2012
- Some of Mamata's policies identical to Left's: Forward Bloc - Jan 19, 2012