Hijack scare at Delhi airport over, passengers deboard (Second Lead)February 1st, 2009 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) An emergency landing at Delhi airport Sunday afternoon created a scare as the pilot reported suspected hijackers on board after a passenger’s misbehaviour, but the crisis blew over later in the evening.Security forces rushed to the Indira Gandhi International Airport after the pilot of an Indigo aircraft reported suspected hijackers on board, an official said.
Ramnik Singh, a passenger, said: “We have deboarded the plane, and are in the bus now.”
“The pilot said he suspected a hijacker on board and asked for priority landing. Later, he said there could be more (hijackers),” a top airport official told IANS.
“We allowed the plane to land on priority basis. The plane is parked in the Technical Area and is in isolation. All the anti-hijack measures are in place, but we don’t know whether the plane is hijacked or not,” added the official when he spoke on condition of anonymity.
The Indigo flight E-664 from Goa to Delhi landed at 5.30 p.m. and was directed to an isolated bay as quick reaction teams of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and Delhi Police were rushed to the airport. The National Security Guard (NSG) were on the standby.
Airport officials said a passenger was possibly misbehaving, leading to the pilot’s alert, but they did not rule out it could be a mock security drill.
The drama, however, ended and the passengers were allowed to disembark around 8 p.m.
However, it was not immediately clear what was the security hurdle and how it was removed.
Earlier, Caren, a passenger, told repoerters on her mobile phone from inside the plane: “We don’t know if it is hijack or security drill. There is no activity inside the aircraft but there is a lot of movement outside the aircraft.”
“If it is a security drill, I will request such a thing never take place in future. It is a torture to passengers,” she added.
The airline in a written statement said every passenger on board was safe.
- Hijack scare peters out at Delhi; passengers breath easy (Third Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Plane at Delhi airport reports suspected hijackers (Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Spicejet plane makes emergency landing in Kolkata after alleged terror scare - May 05, 2010
- India toughens anti-hijack policy, but remains vulnerable (12 years after IC-814 hijack) - Dec 23, 2011
- Grounded Indigo flight to undergo security drill - Nov 30, 2009
- Plane hijacking attempt foiled in China - Jun 29, 2012
- Mock drill conducted at Agartala airport - May 18, 2012
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- IndiGo flight passenger's hoax creates midair scare - Jul 23, 2009
- Narrow escape for Goa-Delhi Indigo flight - Sep 09, 2010
- Indigo flight makes emergency landing at Jammu - Jun 13, 2012
- AI Bhubaneswar flight makes precautionary landing in Kolkata - Jun 18, 2012
- Only causing death should fetch noose for hijackers: Panel - Oct 31, 2010
- IndiGo flight grounded after caller claims ammunition aboard - Nov 30, 2009
- Russian woman raises suspicion, flight makes emergency landing - May 05, 2010