Highly populated areas in Delhi will have more sweepersJanuary 15th, 2009 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 15 (IANS) Delhi neighbourhoods with higher population density will have more sweepers, the civic body of the national capital said Thursday. “Density of population will be the new yardstick for deploying the number of safai karamcharis (sweepers) in areas,” said Vijender Gupta, chairman of Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) standing committee.
The areas with high population density that sweepers often face a challenge to keep clean include villages, resettlement colonies, slum clusters, unauthorised colonies and old Delhi, according to the MCD.
“Earlier the area to be covered was the main criteria for deployment of the number of sweepers. It was experienced that density of the population was directly linked to the quantum of garbage and litter generated in the colony or the area. Hence, it was felt that the area to be covered for sanitation was not the perfect yardstick for quantum of work,” Gupta added.
He said a report on the basis of population density will be tabled in the MCD standing committee for consideration to enable a better sanitation programme for high population density areas.
The decision was taken during a discussion session on MCD’s budget, when Sarita Chaudhary, municipal councillor southeast Delhi’s Sangam Vihar, raised the issue of the civic authority’s inability to provide basic civic amenities in unauthorised colonies.
- Day after Diwali, garbage up by 1,000 tonnes: MCD - Oct 27, 2011
- MCD has 80,000 street cleaners, but how many work? (To go with Games knock door, but litter-free Delhi a distant dream) - Jun 22, 2010
- Delhi MPs to meet Lt Governor on house tax issue - Jan 15, 2011
- MCD seeks scrapping of property tax in unauthorised colonies - Nov 10, 2010
- Delhi civic agency gets sweeping machines - Sep 29, 2011
- Parking rates in Delhi to rise - May 09, 2012
- Two Delhi street cleaners' unions continue strike - Jun 29, 2010
- MCD razes unauthorised property - Nov 25, 2010
- All set for working of trifurcated MCD: Government - Apr 21, 2012
- Games knock door, but litter-free Delhi a distant dream - Jun 22, 2010
- MCD will sack errant sweepers: Delhi mayor - Dec 23, 2008
- Delhi government will release Rs.1,831 crore for MCD - Apr 21, 2012
- MCD trifurcation: Delhi mayor meets Chidambaram - Nov 19, 2011
- Blame game in midst of building collapse tragedy - Nov 16, 2010
- 'Claims of regularising unauthorised colonies a gimmick' - Jul 05, 2012