High-tech vigil for Ganesh immersion in MumbaiSeptember 11th, 2011 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 11 (IANS) The Ganesh immersion went high-tech here Sunday with the police using Global Positioning System (GPS) devices and video surveillence to guard against mischief as thousands of idols started inching towards the sea for their final journey.
“Lorries of important Ganesh mandals will be fitted with video cameras and GPS,” a senior traffic police official said. “As the vehicle moves, its location will be flashed with timings. It will be continuous monitoring, live footage of which will be available at the traffic control room,”
According to Mumbai Mayor Shraddha Jadhav, 4,158 sarvajanik (public) Ganesh idols and 27,530 household idols will be immersed at 88 immersion points on various beaches of Mumbai.
Roads designated immersion routes will be closed to general traffic. Route instructions have been given to each mandal, according to the police. There will be a special lookout for unattended bags or unidentifiable objects.
After Wednesday’s blast at the Delhi High Court and in view of Mumbai becoming a renewed target of terror this year, security has been tightened not only in the metropolis but all over the state, where the festival is celebrated on a massive scale.
“We have tightened security at all important locations, put up road blocks, organised random check of vehicles and taken other measures,” Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik told reporters.
- Maharashtra bids adieu to Lord Ganesh (Lead) - Sep 11, 2011
- Tightest ever security for Ganesh immersions Sunday (Lead) - Sep 07, 2011
- Peaceful start to Ganesh idol immersions in Mumbai - Sep 22, 2010
- Ganpati immersion ceremony ends in Maharashtra (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Navy, Coast Guard deployed in Mumbai for Ganesh immersions - Sep 21, 2010
- Goodbye to gigantic Ganesh idols (With Images) - Apr 23, 2012
- Ganesh Chaturthi venue gets Rs.14 crore insurance - Sep 01, 2011
- Ganesh festival begins in Mumbai (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Millions in Mumbai to bid adieu to Lord Ganesh - Sep 03, 2009
- Mumbai celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi with fervour (Lead) - Sep 01, 2011
- Ganapati festival themes this year - 26/11, swine flu (With Image) - Aug 19, 2009
- Peaceful Ganesh processions on amid tight security in Hyderabad - Sep 11, 2011
- Mumbaikars bid colourful adieu to Ganesh (Lead) (With Image) - Sep 03, 2009
- Mumbai celebrates Ganesh festival - Sep 19, 2012
- Two-wheeler ban likely at Ganesh immersion sites - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: arup, delhi high court, final journey, ganesh idols, global positioning system, jadhav, lorries, mandal, mandals, massive scale, police official, random check, road blocks, shraddha, target, traffic police, traffic route, using global positioning system, video cameras, video surveillence