High tech security at 76 railway stations by MarchFebruary 15th, 2012 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) Rushing to upgrade security cover at 202 sensitive stations, the Indian Railways Wednesday said they hope to complete installation of the high-tech Integrated Security System (ISS) at 76 of these stations by March 31.
The remaining stations would have an ISS, which provides for multiple screening/checking of passengers right from the point of entry, by end of 2012-13, said officials.
Around Rs.350 crore was sanctioned for the project which was taken up ahead of the 2010 Commonwealth Games held in Delhi.
The system comprises latest machines and software to supplement conventional methods of security.
Under the ISS, there will be dedicated control rooms at strategic locations for round-the-clock monitoring through the Close Circuit TV (CCTV)-based surveillance system, said officials.
For personal screening, the use of hand-held metal detectors, door-frame metal detectors and frisking in suspected cases would continue.
Baggage screening will be done through large size X-ray machines. Bomb Detection and Disposal System will be available with latest equipment at important stations.
- Team Anna protests in Ramlila ground, with fewer numbers - Dec 27, 2011
- Ajmer dargah security being beefed up after ministry censure - Jul 04, 2011
- First cross metal detectors, then enter Goa churches - Jan 23, 2011
- Extra metro trains for trade fair - Nov 17, 2011
- Hazare's security beefed up - Oct 20, 2011
- Kolkata Metro Rail introduces integrated security plan - Jun 18, 2010
- New security system for 38 Mumbai railway stations: Kamat - Sep 28, 2011
- CISF to install new security gadgets - Mar 07, 2011
- Pillai reviews security of JLN stadium in New Delhi - Jul 17, 2010
- Delhi hotels beef up security for Games - Sep 16, 2010
- Lawmakers' panel livid at lack of security in railways - Aug 29, 2010
- Police unveil 'foolproof security' for Commonwealth Games (Lead) - Oct 19, 2009
- US Sikhs decry turban screening at airports - Nov 07, 2010
- Livid American Sikhs liken plans to search turbans at airports to 'racial profiling' - Nov 07, 2010
- Tax officials to verify Bengal candidates' assets - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, baggage screening, bomb detection, clock, close circuit tv, conventional methods, crore, hand held metal detectors, indian railways, integrated security, iss, New Delhi, personal screening, point of entry, railway stations, ray machines, security system, surveillance system, x ray