High-tech drug submarine seized in ColombiaSeptember 27th, 2011 - 11:38 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Sep 27 (IANS/EFE) Colombian police seized a drug-smuggling submarine equipped with GPS navigation, external cameras and satellite telephones, authorities said Monday.
The submarine has capacity to carry four tonnes of cocaine and may have cost as much as $2 million to build, the deputy director of the National Police narcotics squad, Col. Carlos Enrique Rodriguez, said in Bogota.
He told reporters the vessel was “equipped with the latest technology”, including radar, GPS navigation, external cameras, a gyroscope and data ports for computers and satellite phones.
Made of steel and fiberglass, the submarine is 40 feet long, 11 feet wide and 16.5 feet high, with room for a crew of five, Rodriguez said.
The vessel was built to travel up to 10 days without refueling and to cruise at a depth of 5 meters, “which makes its detection more difficult”, the colonel said.
“Intelligence work” enabled police to locate the submarine in a rural area of the western province of Choco, bordering Panama, he said.
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- Gunman kills five in Colombia - Jul 28, 2012
- Colombia, US officials seize over four tonnes of cocaine - Aug 27, 2009
- False alarm sends 1,500 Colombian cops on wild goose chase - Dec 29, 2011
- 2 priests slain in Colombian capital - Jan 28, 2011
- 1.5 tonnes of cocaine seized in Panama - Apr 14, 2010
- Laboratory producing cocaine found in Bogota - Nov 21, 2010
- Smuggled goods worth $15 mn seized in Colombia - May 08, 2010
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian TV host held over rebel ties - Nov 16, 2010
- Priest slain in Colombia - May 03, 2012
- Three die in Colombian plane crash - Mar 19, 2012
- 170 canaries seized from bus in Colombia - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: cocaine, colombian police, colonel, data ports, deputy director, drug smuggling submarine, drug submarine, enrique rodriguez, external cameras, fiberglass, gps navigation, gyroscope, intelligence work, latest technology, narcotics, national police, rural area, satellite phones, satellite telephones, western province