High jumper Di Martino to miss OlympicsJuly 27th, 2012 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Italian high jump Olympic medal contender Antonietta Di Martino will miss the London Games with a knee injury, the Italian athletics federation said Friday.
Di Martino, 34, sustained the injury at a training camp after winning silver medal at the world indoor championships last month and had surgery in Rome Wednesday.
The surgery was successful but she is expected to be sidelined for three to four months as she recovers, the Olympic media service said.
Di Martino was on the podium at the 2007 and 2011 world athletics championships and won the 2011 European indoor championships.
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Weber, Dietze steer Germany to kayak double gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- Russians target 25 gold medals in London - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympic Kayak single gold for Hungary - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: High jump champ Ukhov targets world record - Aug 09, 2012
- Paralympic gold for Russia in women's long jump - Aug 31, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Gold for Australia in men's 49er - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Ukrainian powers to men's canoe sprint gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Electric shock kills former junior archery champion - Jul 10, 2012
- Australia glide to gold in men's 470 sailing - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isinbayeva confident ahead of pole vault final - Aug 04, 2012
- Knee injury sidelines Nadal for two months - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: dg, european indoor championships, four months, high jump, high jumper, knee injury, london games, medal contender, olympic medal, olympic media, olympics, podium, ria novosti, rome, silver medal, ss sr, training camp, world athletics championships