High humidity makes life miserable for Delhi residentsAugust 26th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) Good monsoon this year has not just worsened road conditions in Delhi, it has also led to high humidity causing considerable discomfort since Monday night to the millions of people in the national capital.“This is like summer. We don’t have a cooler at home and could not sleep properly last (Monday) night. We were sweating like anything,” said Sandipan Pradhan, a businessman in Vasant Kunj.
Weathermen blamed the monsoon for the problem.
“A good monsoon has increased the moisture content in the air and this is primarily the reason behind growing discomfort among people,” said R.C. Bhatia, deputy director general of India Meteorological Department (IMD).
He said in the last few days there is an increase in the minimum temperature level, which means less gap between maximum and minimum temperature.
“The monsoon is on a weak phase now and generally the humidity level goes up during this period. The cloudy sky is also preventing moisture radiation leading to too much sweating,” Bhatia told IANS.
On Tuesday, the city experienced a humidity level of 91 percent. While the maximum temperature was 34.5 degrees Celsius (1 degree above normal), the minimum was 28.5 degrees, three degrees above normal.
Weathermen said though the city may experience light rain Wednesday but the humidity problem may not ebb out.
IMD said that due to good rainfall activity over many parts of the country during first half of August, only six sub-divisions (of 36 sub-divisions) are facing deficient rainfall.
In total, the cumulative rainfall across the country is just one percent less than normal rainfall.
- Sunny day in Delhi, no rains in sight (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Rains skip Delhi again, likely Friday - Aug 18, 2011
- Humid, cloudy Wednesday in Delhi; rains likely Thursday (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains likely - Jul 22, 2011
- Muggy Sunday morning in Delhi, rains likely - Jul 22, 2012
- Sunny Saturday in Delhi, no rains in store (Lead) - Sep 24, 2011
- Sultry Friday in Delhi, no rain again (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Hot Tuesday in Delhi, Wednesday to be same (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Muggy morning in Delhi - Jul 20, 2012
- Humid Monday morning for Delhi - Aug 06, 2012
- Muggy day in Delhi, Sunday likely to be wet day (Lead) - Aug 13, 2011
- Hot, humid Saturday in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Another sweltering day in Delhi, no respite Sunday (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Hot Wednesday in Delhi, mercury to rise further (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Sultry morning in Delhi, rain likely - Sep 09, 2012