High court to decide on Kasab death sentence Feb 21 (Second Lead)February 7th, 2011 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 7 (IANS) The Bombay High Court Monday set Feb 21 as the date when it will pronounce its verdict on the death sentence awarded to Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Kasab for his role in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack.The court announced that it will give its verdict Feb 21 confirming or commuting the death penalty of Kasab awarded by a lower court last year, said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
The high court will also the same day decide on Kasab’s appeal against the award of death sentence to him by the lower court, his lawyer Farhana Shah said.
The matter came up before the Bombay High Court Monday for further directions in the case, the hearings on which were concluded three weeks ago.
In the final stages of the hearing in the high court, Kasab boycotted the proceedings after the judges rejected his request to be brought physically to the court.
In view of the security considerations in transferring him to and from the court, Kasab was made to appear before the court through a video-conference link set up in the high-security Arthur Road Central Jail.
At one of the initial hearings, Kasab displayed violent tendencies and attempted to spit at the video-camera. Refusing to accept the death sentence, Kasab also demanded that he should be sent to the US.
On Nov 26, 2008, Kasab and nine other Pakistani terrorists sneaked into south Mumbai through the Arabian Sea route and targeted various locations, including the Chhatrapati Shivaji railway terminus, Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, Hotel Trident-Oberoi, and Nariman House which housed the Jewish Chabad House.
The 60-hour mayhem left 166 people dead, including many foreign nationals, and over 300 injured.
- Kasab weak, weary ahead of 26/11 verdict - Feb 20, 2011
- Kasab death sentence: Mumbai court to decide Feb 21 (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Mumbai attack: Court reserves order on Kasab's appeal - Jan 17, 2011
- Death for Kasab is victory of justice, says Ujjwal Nikam - Feb 21, 2011
- Kasab death penalty: Arguments in high court begin Oct 18 - Oct 07, 2010
- Kasab absent for court proceedings Wednesday - Oct 20, 2010
- 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Kasab smiles during his death penalty hearing - Oct 18, 2010
- Bombay HC refuses to wait further for Kasab's appeal against trial court order - Sep 20, 2010
- Kasab trial: Court views CCTV footage - Oct 26, 2010
- Mumbai attack: Hearing on confirmation of Kasab's death sentence from Oct 18 - Sep 20, 2010
- 26/11 case: Bombay High Court dismisses Kasab's juvenile plea - Dec 14, 2010
- Mumbai terror attack footage to be screened in apex court - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: ajmal, arabian sea, arthur road, bombay high court, central jail, chhatrapati shivaji, death sentence, farhana, foreign nationals, initial hearings, nariman, oberoi, pakistani terrorists, public prosecutor, railway terminus, sea route, security considerations, south mumbai, terror attack, violent tendencies