High court tames judge to end impasse with lawyersFebruary 20th, 2009 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 20 (IANS) In order to end the impasse between a judge and lawyers who had announced they would boycott his court, the Punjab and Haryana High Court Friday ordered that he would not hold single judge benches.
A committee of two senior judges, constituted by Chief Justice T.S. Thakur, Friday recommended that Justice Uma Nath Singh should not be allowed to sit in a single judge bench since the High Court Bar Association had announced it would boycott his court till he was transferred from here.
Singh had last week passed remarks against a lawyer here following which the lawyer complained to the Bar association. The association took up the matter with the chief justice. The judge, meanwhile, Thursday again made remarks against the lawyer and also said that he would issue contempt notice to him and the bar association office bearers.
Following this, the lawyers Thursday started an indefinite boycott of his court. They have demanded that Singh be transferred from here.
Singh, who had controversial exchanges with lawyers earlier also, will now be asked to sit only in a division bench with a senior judge. Singh himself is quite senior in the high court hierarchy.
Bar association secretary Harkesh Manuja told IANS that the boycott of Singh in the single bench court would continue though lawyers would attend the court where he sits in the double bench.
Singh was last year also involved in an exchange with lawyers after he ordered that a lawyer be taken to a mental asylum. The lawyers had boycotted his court for a month that time also.
- Lawyers continue to boycott high court judge (Lead) - Feb 20, 2009
- Allahabad High Court to file petition against apex court - Dec 03, 2010
- Lawyers' boycott of judge to end after roster change - Mar 17, 2009
- SC slams poor facilities for green tribunal - Sep 19, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh seeks speedy trial in graft case - Sep 07, 2012
- Rajasekhara Reddy's widow withdraws plea from apex court - Jan 17, 2012
- Order reserved on recording court hearings - Jul 06, 2011
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Punjab and Haryana high court lawyers refuse to end judge's boycott - Mar 05, 2009
- Judges, lawyers mourn blast deaths - Sep 08, 2011
- Court takes up threat to Ayodhya verdict judges, lawyers - Mar 21, 2012
- Apex court sets terms for bar election (Lead) - Sep 26, 2011
- Justice Lokur sworn in as Supreme Court judge (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Apex court refuses to expunge 'rotten' remark - Dec 10, 2010
- Impeachment debate: Lawyers say judges' criticism fair - Aug 21, 2011