High court takes note of milk adulteration in DelhiJanuary 11th, 2012 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 11 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday took suo moto cognizance of media reports that 70 percent of the milk in the national capital was adulterated and issued notice to the city government’s food adulteration department and the Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
Acting Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Shah sought a response from the central and state governments by Jan 25.
The court took note of a report filed by a national daily on Jan 10 that said that 70 percent milk in Delhi was found to be adulterated.
“As much as 70% of milk samples picked up from the capital by a government agency failed to conform to standards,” the report said.
“Of the 71 samples randomly taken from Delhi for testing by the Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), 50 were found to be contaminated with glucose and skimmed milk powder (SMP), which is usually added to milk in the lean season to enhance volumes,” it added.
“Elsewhere in the 33 states and UTs studied, milk was found adulterated with detergent, fat and even urea, besides the age-old dilution with water. Across the country, 68.4% of the samples were found contaminated,” the report also stated.
However, leading milk suppliers in Delhi told IANS Wednesday that branded milk in the capital was not contaminated
- No harmful adulterants in Delhi milk, court told (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Milk adulteration report hasty, will test samples: Delhi - Jan 11, 2012
- Apex court issues notice on supply of adulterated milk (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- No harmful adulterants in Delhi milk, court told - Jan 25, 2012
- Junk food: High Court seeks guidelines - Jan 11, 2012
- Guidelines being framed on health food in schools, court told - Aug 30, 2012
- Delhi to crackdown on food adulterators - May 11, 2011
- Junk food ban plea: Food product makers move court (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- Most food adulteration cases in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 10, 2011
- India halts food import from Japan - Apr 05, 2011
- Mobile vans to check food quality in Delhi - Oct 12, 2010
- Officials summoned over child workers in court complexes - Jan 04, 2012
- Percentage of adulterated milk products high in Andhra, Punjab: Minister - Aug 12, 2010
- Plea for hygienic food in trains - Sep 19, 2012
- Panel to check banned pesticides set up, court told - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: acting, city government, cognizance, delhi high court, detergent, dilution, food adulteration, food safety standards, glucose, government agency, lean season, milk adulteration, milk powder, milk samples, milk suppliers, New Delhi, rajiv, smp, state governments, urea