High Court orders CBI probe in police recruitment scamJune 5th, 2008 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Allahabad, June 5 (IANS) The Allahabad High Court Thursday ordered an inquiry by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the alleged recruitment scam in the Uttar Pradesh police. A division bench of the high court comprising Justices Anjani Kumar and Vijay Kumar Verma also quashed an order of the central government refusing a CBI inquiry in the recruitment muddle.
Soon after taking over as chief minister in May 2007, Mayawati had constituted a committee to look into allegations of massive corruption in the recruitment of police constables during the previous Mulayam Singh Yadav regime.
Based on the report of the one-man committee of senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Shailjakant Mishra, Mayawati had terminated the services of as many as 18,000 police constables.
Twenty-three IPS officials had also been suspended for their alleged involvement in the irregularities. They were, however, later reinstated after they gave a written apology.
The state government then wrote to the central government recommending a CBI investigation into the scam. The latter had turned down the request calling it the state’s internal matter.
- NRHM scam: IAS officer arrested, sent to CBI custody (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- UP gives go ahead to prosecution of tainted doctors, officials - Aug 27, 2012
- Senior IAS officer arrested in NRHM scam - May 10, 2012
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- IPS officer killing: Congress calls shutdown Tuesday - Mar 09, 2012
- NHRM scam: CBI raids in UP, Gujarat - Aug 30, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Rajasthan IPS official's bail rejected - Jul 16, 2012
- IPS officer's killing: CBI gets driver's custody - Mar 20, 2012
- IPS officers reshuffled in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 20, 2012
- Plea against special exam to recruit cops dismissed (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- CBI to probe killing of Madhya Pradesh cop - Mar 13, 2012
- CBI to probe killing of Madhya Pradesh cop, Congress calls bandh (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Court rejects senior Rajasthan police officer's bail plea - Apr 27, 2012
- NRHM scam: Court raps Uttar Pradesh for delay in prosecution (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012