High court issues notice to police on Nanda’s bail pleaSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 23 (IANS) Delhi High Court Tuesday issued notice to the city police over bail application of Sanjeev Nanda convicted and sentenced in the 1999 BMW hit-and-run case, in which six people lost their lives.Justice Kailash Gambhir asked Delhi Police to reply by Oct 3, the next date of hearing, to Nanda’s petition challenging his conviction and five-year prison term awarded by a trial court earlier this month.
Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Nanda, said no incriminating circumstance appeared against Nanda and that the trial court had wrongly convicted him due to the media hype.
Seeking bail from the court, Nanda in his petition said the trial court had accepted the testimony of controversial prosecution eyewitness Sunil Kulkarni, which is not reliable.
Kulkarni, Nanda said, was in Mumbai and not in Delhi at the time of the accident.
Alleging that the police had delayed the recording of Kulkarni’s statement, Nanda said the court ignored the testimonies of the other defence witnesses.
Nanda, grandson of former navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, Sep 5 was awarded five years of rigorous imprisonment by the trial court.
Sanjeev Nanda was returning from a party in Gurgaon with his friends in his luxury BMW car in the early hours of Jan 10, 1999, when he drove it over six people in south Delhi’s Lodhi Colony area.
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Court reserves order on Nanda's bail plea for Saturday - Oct 03, 2008
- R.K. Anand offers apology - Jan 18, 2011
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Apex court advises Nanda on courtship, wedlock - Apr 12, 2010
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Court likely to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate Monday - Jul 19, 2009
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Delhi Court issues notice to police on Sanjeev Nanda plea - Sep 23, 2008
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run case - Jul 20, 2009
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court order on Nanda`s bail plea today - Oct 04, 2008
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court rejects Nanda`s bail plea - Oct 04, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009