High court issues notice to Bukhari, ASI (Lead)May 31st, 2012 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday issued notice to the Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid, the government and the Archaeological Survey of India on a plea seeking to restrain any construction on land allegedly encroached by him near the mosque.
Justice Vipin Sanghi, seeking a response from Shahi Imam Syed Ahmed Bukhari, also asked his three brothers to reply on the plea along with the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and the police commissioner of Delhi by July 12.
The court also directed the police and MCD to take appropriate action to restrain illegal construction and encroachment of land.
Petitioner Suhail Ahmed Khan alleged that in March and April this year Bukhari with his three brothers started illegal construction on an encroached government land that is adjacent to historical Jama Masjid.
He further submitted that he made various complaints to various higher authorities including Prime Minister Office, office of President of India and Lt. Governor, but no action has been taken against the Shahi Imam and his brothers.
“From such encroachment Shahi Imam and his brothers are gaining benefit by allowing such encroachment for the purpose of commercial use like parking, temporary pandals (marquee) for marriages, kiosks etc,” the petition said.
Seeking legal action against Jama Masjid Imam and his three brothers, petitioner asked the court to immediately restrain them from an ongoing unauthorised illegal construction over encroached government land.
- Cancel my son-in-law's ticket: Bukhari - Apr 06, 2012
- Bukhari, Azam Khan spew fire - Apr 07, 2012
- Court allows prayers at demolished mosque site (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Mosque demolition: Contempt plea filed against Dikshit - Jan 15, 2011
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Only 10 people can pray at demolished mosque site: Court (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Ramdev fast a political conspiracy: Bukhari - Jun 04, 2011
- Court stays construction of mosque near Jama Masjid - Jul 20, 2012
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated Saturday - Sep 09, 2010
- Unauthorized construction: MCD must respond - Nov 02, 2011
- Court seeks action ASI report over mosque - Aug 24, 2012
- Journalist threatened, assaulted by Jama Masjid Imam - Oct 14, 2010
- Court refuses security to Shahi Imam's brother - Jul 07, 2009
- Shahi Imam lashes out at Uttar Pradesh government - Jun 04, 2012
- Delhi High Court directs DDA to take encroached land back - May 02, 2012
Tags: ahmed khan, archaeological survey of india, delhi development authority, delhi development authority dda, delhi high court, encroachment, government land, illegal construction, imam syed, jama masjid, kiosks, lt governor, mcd delhi, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, petitioner, police commissioner, president of india, prime minister office, vipin