High court declines CBI probe into Marad massacreFebruary 10th, 2009 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi (Kerala), Feb 10 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Tuesday dismissed a bunch of petitions that seek a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into a 2003 massacre of eight people in the coastal village of Marad.
A division bench headed by acting Chief Justice J.B. Koshy said a CBI probe was no longer relevant as 62 people were last month awarded life terms for the violent Marad incident.
It added that, six years after the incident, it is not feasible to have a probe into the conspiracy angle as suggested in the petitions.
Moreover, it noted the CBI was not keen for a part probe into the episode.
Additional Sessions Judge (Special Court) Babu Mathew P. Joseph last month delivered the judgment, sentencing 62 people to life and acquitting 76.
Marad, near Kozhikode, had seen communal tension before the killing of eight fisherfolk on May 2, 2003. Six people were killed there in an attack in 2002.
Following the high court ruling, it remains to be seen what action the central government would take on the Kerala government’s request for a CBI probe into the two massacres.
- 62 get life terms for 2003 murders of eight people in Kerala - Jan 15, 2009
- Kerala's 2003 Marad massacre: 62 found guilty, 76 let off - Dec 27, 2008
- 62 get life for killing eight in Kerala communal clash (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- 62 get life for 2003 murders in Kerala (Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- Achuthanandan worried due to son's case: Kunhalikutty - Sep 03, 2011
- Kerala recommends CBI probe into Marad communal massacres - Nov 19, 2008
- 'Kerala to seek CBI probe on Marad communal massacre' - Nov 16, 2008
- Court views Achuthananandan's petition on sex scandal seriously - Sep 23, 2011
- Apex court to rule if states can appeal acquittals in CBI cases - Mar 19, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Slain Kerala leader's wife seeks CBI probe - Sep 04, 2012
- Achuthanandan seeks CBI probe in sex scandal case - Sep 02, 2011
- Achuthanandan's fears unfounded in sex case probe: High court - Nov 23, 2011
- Haren Pandya murder: Gujarat High Court acquits all 12 accused - Aug 29, 2011
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012