High court bans use of plastic bags in DelhiAugust 7th, 2008 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday banned the use of plastic bags by shops in the national capital and asked the city government to enforce the ban at the earliest. A division bench of Justice T.S. Thakur asked the Delhi government to issue a notification at the earliest to enforce the ban on the use of plastic bags in markets, malls as well as hotels and hospitals.
The order came on a public interest suit by environmental activist V.K. Jain, who demanded the use of plastic bags be banned, and contended that these were choking drains and leading to collection of dirty water that, in turn, created breeding grounds for disease-spreading vectors.
Jain also cited examples of Germany, Singapore and Bangladesh where the ban on plastic bags has been successfully implemented.
Directing that all the illegally operating recycling units of plastic in the city be shut down, the bench asked the government to apprise the court of the deadline by which it would be able to issue the notification to enforce the ban.
The court imposed the ban despite a government panel earlier telling the court that it was not possible to put a blanket ban on the use of plastic in Delhi as these bags were highly economical and popular among people.
The panel, consisting of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) officials, in its report to the court had put a question mark on the Delhi government’s decision to promote bio-degradable plastic bags.
“Degradable plastics do not decompose naturally on account of the action of micro organisms. Mere disintegration of molecular structure cannot be taken as degradation,” the committee had said.
On Jain’s submission that plastic is banned in several countries, the committee said that “plastic is used worldwide for packaging of medicines, life-saving drugs and a wide range of personnel care products. It can, therefore, be concluded that a blanket ban on use of plastic is not called for.”
- Court rejects plastic bag makers' plea - Jan 24, 2012
- Delhi government to ban plastic bags - Sep 11, 2012
- Court notice on plea against effluent discharge - Mar 28, 2012
- Himachal bans plastic products from Oct 2 - Sep 26, 2011
- Himachal bans disposable plastic products - Oct 02, 2011
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles - Jul 19, 2012
- Biopolymer manufacturers demand control of oxo-plastic - Mar 05, 2012
- Is tobacco plastic sachet ban being implemented, SC asks - Aug 25, 2011
- No sale of tobacco products in plastic pouches from March: Supreme Court - Feb 17, 2011
- Delhi government, DDA, MCD get contempt of court notice - Nov 24, 2011
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Green activists welcome Delhi ban on plastic bags - Apr 05, 2011
- CPCB told to file report on level of pollution in river Yamuna - Feb 28, 2011
- Delhi government warns shopkeepers still using plastic bags - Aug 26, 2009
- CPCB fails to file report on water pollution at Bhopal site - Jul 15, 2012