High alert in Uttar Pradesh on HoliMarch 11th, 2009 - 11:49 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 11 (IANS) Keeping in mind the communal violence that erupted in Barielly on the eve of Holi, the Uttar Pradesh government has sounded a high alert across the state.
“We have intensified security in all communally sensitive areas to prevent any violence,” Additional Director General of Police Brij Lal told IANS.
“All district police chiefs have been told to keep an eye on mischief makers,” he said.
Meanwhile, the situation in Barielly, where one person was killed and five people were seriously injured, was Wednesday reported to be calm.
According to Barielly zonal Inspector General of Police Javed Akhtar, heavy patrolling was being carried out in the affected areas on the city’s outskirts where the violence flared.
“The situation is fully under control,” he said.
- 36 arrested for Bareilly riots - Aug 18, 2010
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Two dead, curfew in riot-hit Mathura district (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 02, 2012
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad - Apr 08, 2012
- Security forces on alert as Maoists protest - Jun 01, 2012
- 20 dead in Howrah-Kalka Express derailment - Jul 10, 2011
- Curfew in parts of Bareilly after communal violence - Aug 17, 2010
- Curfew continues in old Hyderabad - Apr 09, 2012
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- 30 injured in communal clash in Meerut - Apr 25, 2011
- Sikhs on warpath in Pilibhit after holy book desecrated - Sep 16, 2011
- 33 IPS officers shifted in UP, power chief also booted out - Jul 31, 2012
- Alert in ten Assam districts after clashes - Jul 23, 2012
- Andhra police chief appeals northeast community not to panic (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012