Hic! Tipsy parrots nursing hangoverNovember 4th, 2011 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 4 (IANS) Dozens of parrots in Australia had to be hospitalised as they had got drunk. Now, vets are curing their hangover.
Sixty drunk birds were taken to an animal hospital.
The Sun said some of them were in such a state that it would take days for them to sober up.
The red-collared lorikeets get intoxicated by pecking at fermented nectar produced by a species of tree.
The tree is common in gardens in Australia’s Northern Territory as it produces ornamental red flowers.
“People find the parrots huddled in a corner or at the bottom of one of the trees.
“Mostly they just look sick - a sad bundle of feathers hiding from the world,” vet Stephen Cutter, who is in Darwin, was quoted as saying.
“They tend to be depressed, can’t fly and have difficulty climbing or balancing on perches,” the vet added.
Incidentally, there is hardly any difference between the cure for humans and parrots. They too recover after food, rest and rehydration.
- It's raining drunken parrots in Northern Territory! - Jun 02, 2010
- Drunk moose stuck up in tree in Gothenburg - Sep 08, 2011
- Cockatoos under threat of extinction - Jan 05, 2012
- Coffee and Aspirin is "Best Hangover Cure" in Rats - Jan 21, 2011
- Hangover & Remedies To Cure It - Jan 01, 2010
- Boozy tree shrews can drink humans under the table! - Jul 29, 2008
- Meet Jack the parrot who scared off gang of thieves with savage attack - Sep 16, 2010
- In China, a swallow doesn't necessarily make a summer (With Images) (An Indian in China) - Jul 03, 2012
- Bugs help make eco-friendly detergents - Mar 11, 2012
- Cyclone hits northern Australia - Feb 16, 2011
- Almond tree uses secret weapon to attract potential pollinators - Jan 29, 2010
- Mumbai RJ gets PETA award for saving parrot - Jun 15, 2011
- Tania Zaetta accused of racial slurs by club bouncers - Mar 22, 2011
- Designer outfit made from wine - Jun 11, 2012
- Actor Gary Busey's Alleged DUI Sting Proved False - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: animal hospital, australia, birds, darwin, dozens, feathers, fly, hangover, hiding from the world, london, lorikeets, nectar, northern territory, parrots, perches, red flowers, rehydration, sun, trees, vet