Hezbollah link to Israeli car blast?February 13th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Tel Aviv, Feb 13 (IANS) Even as India launched a probe into a blast in a car belonging to the Israeli embassy here, media reports in Israel speculated that the explosion in Delhi coincided with an attack on the Israeli embassy in Georgia and occurred on the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Hezbollah’s military commander.
It’s not clear whether it was a bomb explosion or due to a blast in a CNG cylinder, with Indian authorities not ruling out a terror attack.
In Georgia capital Tbilisi, an embassy staffer discovered a bomb underneath his car as he was driving to the embassy Monday morning. The bomb was, however, neutralised before it could explode.
Subsequently, Israeli security authorities raised the level of alert at its embassies all over the world. The Jerusalem Post quoted Israeli security officials saying that it was possible that the attacks were connected to the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Hezbollah military chief Imad Mughniyeh, who was killed in Damascus on Feb 12, 2008.
In recent years, Hezbollah, a fiercely anti-Israel militia that, has tried to avenge Mughniyeh’s assassination.
Responding to the attack, Israel’s Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said Israel will not allow terrorism to affect its agenda. “It just shows that israel and its citizens face terror inside and outside of Israel,” Liberman said. “We deal with it every day. We know how to identify exactly who is responsible for the attack and who carried it out.”
“We will not allow this to affect our agenda,” said the minister.
- Israeli embassy car targetted in Delhi, four injured in blast (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Israeli team to reach Delhi to discuss attack - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- Iran denies role in Israel embassy car explosion - Feb 14, 2012
- Hezbollah might attack Israeli target to help Iran: Israel - Feb 21, 2011
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu - Feb 13, 2012
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Attack foiled at Israeli embassy in Georgia - Feb 13, 2012
- Israeli diplomats world over use taxis after attacks - Feb 14, 2012
- Iran condemns Bangkok blasts - Feb 15, 2012
- Phone calls made to Israel, Iran, Lebanon being examined (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- India assures Israel full support in probe, no Iran link (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Probe intensifies but no headway in Monday bombing - Feb 16, 2012
- Terrorist was 'very well trained', says Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: avigdor liberman, bomb explosion, citizens face, damascus, delhi tel, embassies, embassy staffer, foreign minister, fourth anniversary, georgia capital, hezbollah, imad mughniyeh, indian authorities, israeli embassy, israeli security officials, jerusalem post, military commander, security authorities, tbilisi, terror attack