Hezbollah chief appears on TV to deny poison reportOctober 26th, 2008 - 7:07 am ICT by IANS
Beirut, Oct 26 (DPA) Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah late Saturday denied an Iraqi website report that he had been poisoned and then saved by Iranian doctors.”This information is totally unfounded,” the head of Lebanon’s Shia militant group said in an interview broadcast on Hezbollah’s Manar television.
“I am sitting here in front of you … There was no poisoning. It is pure fabrication,” he said.
Nasrallah claimed the report could have been “part of the psychological war” against Hezbollah aimed at alleging there are internal divisions within the Syria- and Iran-backed group.
On Wednesday, Iraqi website Almalaf reported that Nasrallah had survived an assassination bid in which he was poisoned with a “highly toxic chemical substance.”
Nasrallah, 48, was in “critical condition over the past few days,” the report said, quoting diplomatic sources in Beirut. It said his life was saved by Iranian doctors who rushed to his side.
Nasrallah was elected secretary-general of Hezbollah in 1992, after an Israeli helicopter gunship killed his predecessor Abbas al-Musawi in southern Lebanon.
- Hezbollah chief calls on Lebanon to build nuclear reactor - Aug 25, 2010
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Syrian TV denies intelligence chief's murder - Aug 27, 2012
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Assange interviews Hezbollah chief on Russian channel - Apr 18, 2012
- Saudi wanted joint Arab-US-NATO force to destroy Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon - Dec 08, 2010
- US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders - Sep 14, 2012
- Nasrallah vows to defeat Israel if a new war erupts - Jan 16, 2010
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010
- Explosion kills Hamas member in Beirut - Dec 27, 2009
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Christian bishop asks Hezbollah not to air Jesus film - Aug 13, 2010
- Thousands attend funeral of Hezbollah leader - Jul 07, 2010
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012