Heroin worth Rs.260 mn seized in PunjabMarch 23rd, 2008 - 8:46 pm ICT by admin
Amritsar, March 23 (IANS) Officials of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) made a big catch Sunday in this Sikh holy city by seizing 22 kg of heroin valued at over Rs.220 million in the international market. In a separate seizure, the Punjab police in the adjoining border district of Tarn Taran caught a man Saturday with 4 kg of heroin valued at Rs.40 million.
The total seizure of 26 kg of heroin worth Rs.260 million is one of the biggest catches in recent years.
DRI officials arrested a youth wing leader of Punjab’s ruling Akali Dal from Jalandhar after 22 kg of illicit drugs were recovered from his possession.
DRI officials said they are investigating the drug racket.
The heroin consignments were being routed through Punjab to other states in India. Officials said they had originated from Afghanistan and brought into India through Pakistan by smugglers.
- 75 kg of heroin seized in Punjab - Apr 06, 2011
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- Three held with drugs worth Rs.40 crore - Jul 10, 2011
- No one cures Punjab's drug problem (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 10, 2012
- Heroin worth Rs.260 mn seized, Akali activist nabbed - Mar 23, 2008
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- 15 kg heroin found near India-Pakistan border - Oct 04, 2011
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- Punjab's drug haul shows it's a safe transit point - Feb 24, 2009
- 27 kg heroin seized near India-Pakistan border - Oct 06, 2011
- Punjab drug scene hits a new 'high' - Nov 22, 2010
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011