Heritage structure in Lucknow’s medical varsity set to dissapearOctober 3rd, 2008 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 3 (IANS) With beautiful cupolas, cornices and two domes set majestically on top, a 97-year-old heritage building on the campus of Lucknow’s Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University, known as King George’s Medical University will soon make way for a new multi-storeyed building.Considering the dilapidated condition of the nearly 100-year-old building, the administration of the varsity has decided to dismantle it and set up a multi-storeyed building offering the latest medical facilities in its place.
“It has been unanimously decided that a new OPD block will come up in place of the old building that housed departments including orthopaedics, ear-nose-throat (ENT) and other disciplines,” university Vice-Chancellor Saroj Churamani Gopal told IANS.
“We have already started shifting and evacuating the old buildings,” she added.
According to varsity officials, they had no option but to raze the old building.
“There were two reasons why we decided to raze the building. First, it’s in a sorry state. Second, shortage of space to set up the new OPD block,” said a senior varsity official, preferring anonymity.
He said: “We held umpteen number of meetings with the government authorities to provide us space for setting up the OPD block. But since neither any assurance was given nor any initiative taken by the state government, we finally decided to dismantle the old building.”
The building can be razed anytime now, officials said.
The building came up in 1911 on the site of ‘Machhi Bhawan’, also known as ‘Fort of Lucknow’, which had been blown up by the British in the 1857 war. The King George’s Medical College (now CSMMU) was built on this historical site in 1905.
The move to bulldoze the building has left city historians aghast.
“Such a building evokes memories of nawabs and their culture. The government must make serious efforts to restore such buildings.” said Roshan Taqi, general secretary of Historical and Archaeological Research Centre for Awadh (HARCA).
- Himachal tears down British era building - Aug 05, 2011
- New building for Mumbai hospital (With images) - Sep 17, 2012
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Fire breaks out in power corporation office in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 15, 2011
- Major fire in Lucknow building, none hurt (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Illegal constructions in Ghaziabad sealed, case against builder - May 21, 2012
- Woman jumps from Gurgaon high rise, dies - May 07, 2012
- Five hurt as building collapses in Kolkata - Feb 03, 2011
- Enraged workers in Gurgaon indulge in vandalism, arson - Mar 23, 2012
- Major fire in Lucknow building, no casualty - Dec 03, 2010
- Agra citizens demand firm action against encroachers - Mar 25, 2012
- AFTER 1 )Krishna land now an urban disaster (Letter from Mathura) - Aug 12, 2012
- Mother throws crying baby from 14th floor - Mar 03, 2012
- Toll in Turkey quake rises to 459 - Oct 26, 2011
- Gurgaon domestic help jumps to death - May 14, 2012