Helicopter landing facility near Sabarimala temple nowNovember 7th, 2008 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Sabarimala (Kerala), Nov 7 (IANS) Authorities at the Sabarimala temple here have made arrangements for helicopter landing at Nilackal near Pamba during an emergency for use by the pilgrims. The temple authorities said the helicopter facility has been arranged for the first time and would be used in case of emergency. It would not be used for bringing the pilgrims.
The temple opens Nov 16 for the festival season. The festival continues till the third week of January. The Hindu temple is dedicated to Lord Ayyappa.
An Indian Air Force helicopter, which flew in from Coimbatore, landed successfully at Nilackal but could not land at Sharamkuthi.
Nilackal, about 10 km from Pamba, is considered as the base camp for the pilgrims who arrive for pilgrimage to the Sabarimala shrine. Sharamkuthi is on the hilltop and nearer to the temple.
The temple, at an altitude of 914 metres above sea level and four km from Pamba in Pathanamthitta district in central Kerala, bars the entry of women who have attained puberty but not reached menopause.
Large numbers of pilgrims turn up at the shrine every year on ‘Makar jyoti’ day on Jan 14. This year a record one million devotees witnessed the ‘Makar jyoti’ light appear on the horizon in the evening.
- Court offers reprieve to Kannada actress in temple case - Oct 13, 2011
- Kerala gears up for Sabarimala ritual - Jan 05, 2012
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Antony offers military help for Sabarimala pilgrimage - Nov 08, 2008
- Sabarimala pilgrimage begins Monday, 40 mn devotees expected - Nov 14, 2009
- In Sabarimala, a season of crowds, snakes and pickpockets - Jan 09, 2012
- Sabarimala pilgrimage begins - Nov 17, 2011
- Sabarimala coffers register record collection - Jan 16, 2010
- Post-stampede, divinity of Samarimala light questioned - Jan 18, 2011
- Sabarimala spruced up as pilgrimage begins Wednesday - Nov 14, 2010
- Sabarimala: Kerala would rather be safe than sorry - Nov 15, 2011
- Lakhs witness 'celestial light' on Sabarimala horizon (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Actress Jaimala gets court summons in Sabarimala case - Jul 15, 2011
- Cleaning drive begins near Sabarimala temple - Nov 07, 2011
- Sabarimala: Pilgrims discover Q-coupon booking virtues - Nov 19, 2011