Helen Mirren calls for more women directorsJuly 3rd, 2012 - 9:03 am ICT by IANS
London, July 3 (IANS) Actress Helen Mirren urges that the film industry needs to have more female directors.
The Oscar winner expressed her views after receiving the lifetime achievement award at the European country’s annual Karlovy Vary International Film event, reports express.co.uk.
“When I was making those (early) films, they were very, very few female directors, and there were certainly no women on set, which made taking one’s clothes off all the more difficult,” she said.
“Things have moved on, but as far as I’m concerned, they haven’t moved on enough. I don’t know how many female directors are presenting their films in this festival. I very much doubt that it’s 50 per cent. Not too many, I’m sure,” she added.
- I'm not very stylish, says Dame Helen Mirren - Feb 04, 2011
- Helen Mirren hates romantic movies - Jul 05, 2010
- Helen Mirren feels 'incredible' after cementing place in Hollywood history - Apr 06, 2011
- I like my nude photos: Helen Mirren - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Frugal' Dame Helen Mirren loves sewing her hubby's socks! - Feb 05, 2011
- Helen Mirren not appearing in Indira Gandhi biopic - Jul 01, 2010
- Dame Helen Mirren puts her Oscar in the attic - Dec 07, 2009
- At 64, Helen Mirren poses nude for magazine - Jun 26, 2010
- Helen Mirren based new film character on Martha Stewart - Oct 07, 2010
- 'Arthur' - funny, but let down on original - May 14, 2011
- Helen Mirren Says Hollywood Worships Men - Dec 10, 2010
- Britain is 'cruel and angry', says Helen Mirren - Nov 15, 2010
- Helen Mirren scared of working with Russell Brand - Apr 14, 2011
- Spanish film wins international film festival in Czech - Jul 11, 2010
- Americans don't know how to make tea, says Dame Helen Mirren - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: actress, clothes, doubt, early films, express co, female directors, film event, film industry, helen mirren, international film, lifetime achievement award, london, oscar winner, women directors