Heavyweight boxer Vitali Klitschko unhappy with Gomez fightNovember 8th, 2008 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Nov 8 (DPA) Ukrainian heavyweight Vitali Klitschko believes there is little interest in a fight ordered by the World Boxing Council (WBC) with the German-based Cuban Juan Carlos Gomez.Klitschko, 37, had wanted to line up another opponent, preferably the Russian Nikolay Valuev, with the Briton David Haye also a possible candidate.
But he has now been told to make a mandatory defence of his WBC belt against the WBC’s top-ranked contender Gomez.
“I can well remember knocking Gomez down when he was my sparring partner,” Klitschko was quoted as saying by Bild newspaper.
Manager Bernd Boente was also quoted as saying: “No television station will be interested in covering this fight.”
Should the promoters of both boxers fail to agree on a fight, the bout would be open to purse bids Dec 19 at the WBC’s headquarters in Mexico City.
Klitschko returned to the ring after a four-year absence to reclaim the WBC belt last month by beating Samuel Peter in a one-sided contest in which the Nigerian retired after the eighth round.
His younger brother, Wladimir, will defend his IBF and WBO heavyweight titles against former champion Hasim Rahman of the United States in Mannheim, Germany, Dec 13.
Both the Klitschko management agency and Gomez’s promoters Arena are based in the northern German city of Hamburg.
The 35-year-old Cuban won the final elimination bout against Ukrainian Vladimir Virchis Sep 27 in Hamburg.
Russian giant Valuev meanwhile holds the WBA belt, the only one of the four heavyweight titles now not in the hands of the Ukrainian brothers.
“It would be really great if all four titles were in the family’s hands,” Vitali Klitschko had been quoted as saying last month.
- Vitali Klitschko defends WBC heavyweight title in one-punch knockout - Mar 21, 2011
- Haye needs to prove himself before taking on Klitschko brothers: Tyson - Jul 17, 2010
- I will hit Wladimir Klitschko in ring to make Vitali come out and fight: Haye - Mar 07, 2011
- Klitschko brothers vow to send WBA champ Haye into retirement - Dec 27, 2010
- Vitali may replace injured brother Wladimir to fight Haye - Mar 08, 2011
- Ukraine boxer Klitschko accuses King of blocking title fight - Jan 29, 2009
- Wladimir Klitschko is fit to face me, says David Haye - Apr 02, 2011
- Haye to practice by hitting out at Klitschko's dummy - Apr 22, 2011
- Haye fumes at Klitschkos for avoiding bout with him - Jan 06, 2011
- WBC champ Klitschko itching to 'shut Haye's big mouth' - May 31, 2010
- Haye's manager heads for Germany to resolve ticketing war - May 02, 2011
- Haye wants to conclusively rip Wladimir Klitschko's face to shreds - Mar 17, 2011
- Haye preparing for Klitschko bout by gym workouts with 500 pounds-a-week stripper - Mar 18, 2011
- Hamburg to host Haye-Klitschko heavyweight bout on July 2 - Apr 21, 2011
- I'll retire if I don't get fights: Holyfield - Sep 12, 2012