Heavy showers lash capital, traffic affected (Lead)August 4th, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) Heavy showers lashed Delhi Thursday morning, causing waterlogging and traffic disruptions in parts of the city.
After a week of hot and humid weather, people in the capital got some respite as it rained heavily in some places. But the showers caused waterlogging in parts of central, south and east Delhi, affecting the traffic movement.
The Delhi Traffic Police issued SMS advisories about slow traffic movement at Dhaula Kuan, Mandir Marg, Moti Bagh and Kashmere Gate Metro station due to flooding of roads.
“Traffic coming from Gurgaon and going towards Vasant Kunj has been diverted from Mahipalpur Chowk because of waterlogging,” said one of the advisories.
Many people were stuck in long lines of vehicles caused by the flooding.
“My autorickshaw broke down at Rajendra Nagar in west Delhi. It has been raining heavily and I am stuck here for the last one hour,” said Rajeev Gupta, a media professional.
The capital witnessed a warm morning with the minimum temperature settling at 28.2 degrees Celsius — two degrees above the average for the season. Humidity recorded early morning was 85 percent.
The maximum temperature recorded Wednesday was 34.7 degrees Celsius — two notches above the average for the season.
- Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Traffic snarls in Delhi after morning rain (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Rains in Delhi bring down mercury, cause traffic snarls (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Rains lash capital, more showers expected (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Rainy Saturday for Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Wet morning, more rains in store for Delhi - Sep 20, 2010
- Another rainy day in Delhi, more showers likely - Sep 06, 2010
- Rains lash capital, traffic snarls in several places - Aug 01, 2012
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi, more expected (Second Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Torrential downpour leaves Delhi in traffic snarls, chaos (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Rains bring on high humidity in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,