Heavy rains lash Mumbai, surrounding areasJuly 4th, 2012 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 4 (IANS) Heavy rains lashed Mumbai and surrounding areas, including Thane and Raigad, Wednesday, disrupting road and rail traffic, officials here said.
Although the downpour offered respite from the sultry weather, it affected Mumbai’s lifeline, the suburban trains network, with local services running late by 10-15 minutes on the Central Railway and the Harbour Line since morning, delaying millions of commuters.
No delays were reported on the Western Railway section.
Air traffic at the Mumbai airport, however, remained largely unaffected. Three flights from Ahmedabad were diverted to Mumbai early Wednesday due to inclement weather conditions there, an airport official said.
The city disaster control room said there was no waterlogging in any part of Mumbai.
Commuters travelling by roads, however, reported traffic jams in some parts of the city.
“Due to traffic jams, it took me nearly 45 minutes to cover the distance between Jogeshwari and Vikhroli which normally takes around 10 minutes,” said Pagur Desai, who commutes daily from Kandivli-Mulund.
Till 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, Colaba and Santacruz observatories recorded 48.6 mm and 76.3 mm of rainfall, respectively, according to the Weather Bureau.
The bureau has forecast heavy rains in Mumbai, Thane, Raigad and surrounding areas for the next two days.
With wind speed expected to touch 45-55 kmph Wednesday, fishermen have been advised against venturing out into the sea.
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Heavy rains slow down life in Mumbai - Jul 13, 2011
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Mumbai areas waterlogged after third day of heavy rains - Jun 11, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Monsoon chaos returns to Mumbai, disrupts normal life (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Heavy rains in Mumbai, all traffic hit (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt life in Mumbai - Jul 14, 2009
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Downpour continues in Mumbai, traffic hit again - Jul 15, 2009
- Heavy rains disrupt normal life in Mumbai, Thane - Jul 08, 2009
- Rains disrupt Maharashtra-Gujarat train services - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: central railway, colaba, desai, disaster control, downpour, heavy rains, inclement weather conditions, mulund, mumbai airport, observatories, raigad, rail traffic, santacruz, suburban trains, sultry weather, traffic jams, traffic officials, waterlogging, weather bureau, western railway