Heavy rains halt play in first Test (Lead)August 25th, 2012 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 25 (IANS) Heavy rains disrupted play on the third day of the first cricket test between India and New Zealand at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium here Saturday.
The umpires called the covers in the post-lunch session around 2 p.m in anticipation of rain as dark clouds hovered over the stadium at Uppal on the city outskirts. Within a few minutes, a heavy downpour forced the crowd to run for cover.
The incessant rains have left little hope of play resuming later in the day even if the downpour subsides.
New Zealand were 41 for one in their second innings after India enforced follow-on, when the rains stopped play. The visitors, who were bowled out for 159 in the first innings before lunch, were trailing by 238 runs. India scored 438 in their first innings.
For the second time in the match, Pragyan Ojha gave India the breakthrough when he trapped Martin Guptil (16, 3×4) before the wicket. The Kiwi opener, who survived a loud LBW appeal on the previous ball, padded up a full length delivery in front of the stumps and this time English umpire Ian Gould had no doubt.
Guptil also failed to capitalise on a chance he got in the previous over of the same bowler when Virat Kohli at second slip could not hold on to an outside edge.
Ojha opened the bowling as New Zealand began their second innings post lunch after India enforced the follow-on.
Brendon McCullum and Guptil made a cautious start, ensuring that they didn’t repeat the mistakes of the first innings. The first boundary came only in the 12th over when Guptil hit pacer Umesh Yadav through fine-leg. He also smashed two successive boundaries of Ojha before falling to him in his next over.
McCullum, who came under criticism for gifting away his wicket in the first inning, was more cautious. He hit the first boundary after facing 57 deliveries. He was playing on 16 and Kane Williamson 3.
- India tighten noose on Kiwis, rain curtails third day's play (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at lunch on fourth day - Aug 26, 2012
- India tighten grip on first Test against New Zealand (Roundup) - Aug 24, 2012
- Lunch Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Second Test, Day One - Aug 31, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Second Test, Day One - Aug 31, 2012
- Scoreboard at tea: India vs New Zealand, Second Test, Day One - Aug 31, 2012
- Ashwin for enforcing follow-on after early wrap-up - Aug 24, 2012
- India bowl out New Zealand for 159 at lunch - Aug 25, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea on Day 3 - Aug 25, 2012
- New Zealand 92/1 at lunch against India (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at lunch on Day 3 - Aug 25, 2012
- Final Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, 1st Test - Aug 26, 2012
- First Test: Ashwin spins India to innings victory (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2012
- Ojha strikes twice as Kiwis struggle (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, Second Test, Day I - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: brendon mccullum, city outskirts, cricket stadium, cricket test, dark clouds, guptil, heavy downpour, heavy rains, incessant rains, international cricket, kohli, little hope, lunch session, no doubt, pacer, rajiv gandhi, test lead, uppal, wicket, yadav