Heavy rains halt Amarnath pilgrimageJuly 8th, 2011 - 12:34 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 7 (IANS) The movement of pilgrims towards the Amarnath cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir was Thursday afternoon suspended due to heavy rains along the south Kashmir’s Pahalgam route, an official statement said.
According to R.K. Goyal, chief executive officer of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), the pilgrims were advised against moving forward from Chandanwari, Sheshnag and Panjtarni along the south Kashmir route around Thursday noon. Those in transit were advised to reach the nearest camps at Sheshnag and Panjtarni.
“Meanwhile, the pilgrims who had already arrived at the holy cave were safely returning to Baltal and Panjtarni,” the statement said. About 20,000 pilgrims paid obeisance at the cave shrine Thursday.
Around 170,000 pilgrims have performed the pilgrimage since it began June 29.
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, chief executive officer, goyal, heavy rains, holy cave, jammu and kashmir, june 29, kashmir, obeisance, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrims, sheshnag, shri, shrine board, south kashmir, thursday afternoon