Heavy rains claim at least 11 lives in Uttar PradeshJuly 1st, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 1 (IANS) At least 11 people were killed in districts of Uttar Pradesh as houses collapsed and trees were uprooted in the aftrermath of heavy rains, officials said Tuesday. The deaths were reported from Ambedkar Nagar, Kaushambi, Gorakhpur and Faizabad districts of the state, and details of the damage caused by Monday’s rainfall are still being collected, officials said.
The highest toll was reported from Ambedkar Nagar, where five people were killed.
“The casualties have been reported from Hansvar, Rustampur and Mehmoodpur villages where the people died in house collapse incidents,” Ambedkar Nagar district magistrate Vikas Kotwal told IANS.
In Kaushambi, four people, including three women, were killed in incidents of roof collapse and uprooting of trees.
“We have already started the relief work and a compenstaion of Rs.100,000 each has already been provided to the bereaved families,” said Kaushambi district magistrate Charanjeet Singh.
- 26 killed in Uttar Pradesh storms - May 21, 2011
- Six die as rains lash Pakistan province - Sep 02, 2011
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Six killed in wall collapse - Jan 04, 2011
- Storms claim 56 lives in India - May 20, 2011
- Tree falls on train, one killed - Aug 15, 2011
- Violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir, one dead (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Heavy rains leave 14 dead in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 05, 2008
- Cyclone Thane toll now 46, life limps back to normalcy (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Dust storms kill 10 in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- Four killed in Maharashtra wall collapse - Aug 30, 2010
- Four killed, over 20 injured in Assam thunderstorm - Apr 14, 2010
- Three judges attacked in Delhi, one injured - May 17, 2012
- 70 IAS officials transferred in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 13, 2012
- Nine killed, 200 injured in dust storm in UP - Apr 12, 2012